R4s for ags, any interest?

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #11  
Bedlam said:
I noticed after a parts shopping trip today that the dealer I was at has many tractors and all have the R-4 tires. Looks like AG's would be an optional thing.
I know its been debated many times here the pros and cons. I myself prefer the AG's.
Al
In areas where people are shopping for tractors that wiill not be heavily devoted to farming the lots seem to feature R4 treads almost exclusively, but with the option to go AG at no xtra cost on delivery. This is an economy by standardizing measure since few will insist on the change when they are hot to buy and the tire looks plenty aggressive. They dont see what the R1 user knows - the name of the game on a tractor is traction and the adjustability of tractor stance, and R1s supply this and arent fragile. Once people realize that they didnt get the capability they expected with the R4 its too late to change free. Then the rationalization starts by stressing the verry few times that the R1 might fail in favor of the R4, to the neglect of the R1s overall competence and predominant ability to apply force.
larry

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #12  
Just thought I would throw this question out...What about having R4 fronts, and R1 rears? R4's in front would be good for loader use, and R1's in back for traction. Anyone tried a setup like this?

The only thing I could think which may affect this setup may be differences in wheel diameter with the transmission and 4 WD...Are the rolling diameters the same with the front tires of R1's vs R4's?

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #13  
Redbug said:
Just thought I would throw this question out...What about having R4 fronts, and R1 rears? R4's in front would be good for loader use, and R1's in back for traction. Anyone tried a setup like this?

The only thing I could think which may affect this setup may be differences in wheel diameter with the transmission and 4 WD...Are the rolling diameters the same with the front tires of R1's vs R4's?

Not if you intermix them.

I think R-4's get a bad rap because they don't get as good of traction as R-1's, so they're not as "macho" because they can't be used for insane mud bogging or bottom plowing as good as R-1's can.

I'd guess I've been in as bad a mud as 95% of the members of this website with my poor pathetic R-4's and have yet required a tow. I see more newbie owners buy a tractor and promptly bury it up to the frame in mud in the first 20 hours not because of the tires, but because they don't realize the limitations of their equipment.

The R-4 was built for versatility. R-4's also last longer on hard surfaces and have stiffer sidewalls for heavy loader work. They are wider, they float better and they allow an operator to cut lawns that you wouldn't dare drive over with R-1's with.

Each tire has its' strength. Buy the tire that works best for you in most cases. I think to say "R-1's are superior to R-4's" is silly since R-4's do some things better than R-1's and vice versa.

Or buy 2 sets of tires if you need to cover any situation.

/ R4s for ags, any interest? #14  
I dont think the debate between R1s and R4s will ever end. I read everything I
could find on TBN about both tires. Hours and hours. This ended up being a harder decision for me than the tractor itself. In my application I chose R1s
because I didnt want to sacrifice traction for anything. Im not finish mowing
and no hard surfaces. For loader work R4s would have been nice but the R1s
(6 ply) do fine for my loader capacity(1874 lbs).
I just think you have to go with the tire that fits the majority of your uses.

Oh yeah-my dealer said you can NOT run R4/front and R1/rear.