R4s on Kubotas - where do they come from?

/ R4s on Kubotas - where do they come from? #1  

Matyac

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST with R4 tires
I just did the 50 hour service on my L3010 HST. While wiping some front axle oil from the inside of the one of the front tires, I noticed that it had several cracks formed in the sidewall. I compared it to the other front tire and noticed that although the same brand and model, they were obviously of different age. Both appeared new when I took delivery of the tractor in May 2002. I looked both tires over and could find no date of manufacture. However, the front rims were stamped with a date and the name "Titan", same name as tire brand. Sure enough, the cracked tire was stamped 3/2001, about a year older than the other one. Both back rims were also stamped with a date and and the word "Titan", but are mounted with Goodyear tires.

This raises some questions. I assumed that the rims and tires came from Kubota. Now it appears that, at least for the R4s, the dealers buy tires and rims from another supplier. And while I feel comfortable with Goodyear, who the heck is Titan and how good is their stuff? Does anyone out there know how this works? Sounds like specing "R4s" isn't enough - a buyer should probably specify the brand (and the age?!) as well.

-Scott

/ R4s on Kubotas - where do they come from? #2  
When I was buying my TN I noticed the Titan tires had a lot of cracks in the sidewalls on brand new tires. These were R-1's but 50% of the tires on the lot had cracks while the Goodyears were ok. So when I ordered mine I specified the Goodyears. When the tractor showed up they had Titans on it and they were cracked also so they swapped them for Goodyears. I know a lot of other people on this board have Titans with no problems most of the ones I have seen at my dealer made me wonder how good they were. Take care.

/ R4s on Kubotas - where do they come from? #3  
Titan manufactuers tires and rims for various companies. The cracks are purely cosmetic. If they bother you, make sure anything you repalce them with get a regular coat of rubber conditioner and keep them out of the sun. The treads on the front tires will wear out well before the cracks could be big enough to be of any consequence. Titan, like Galaxy, make a wide variety of tires for tractors, skidsteers, mowers etc.