R4s Wiff

/ R4s Wiff #11  
The only time I used chains was when I had a Cub 154 LoBoy that was 2WD. It was absolutely helpless in any amount of snow with the old diamond-pattern turfs but with chains on it went like it had 4WD.

The Ford 1210 that lives here since around 1993 has always had R1's. New tires were installed 10 years ago. The R1's provided good traction in most conditions.

Just traded in a B7500 with R4's. For the 10 years I had it the R4's worked well. There were times I thought they didn't do as well in the snow - depending on how wet / dry the snow was. Never loaded up with snow, but they did load up a lot more in mud than the R1's.

The L3200 has loaded R4's and so far it has been exceptional. There were places I had to use 4WD with the B7500 that the L3200 walks right through. Even though the tractor is heavier than the one it replaced, it marks the grass considerably less when mowing. It'll be interesting to see how well it does in the snow.

/ R4s Wiff #12  
R4's are between ags and turfs. They have more traction than turfs but less than ags. They don't tear up the turf as bad as ags either. I think R4's are more of a flotation tire. If you get in a mud hole they will not sink down like ags will. R4's are more resistant to getting snagged and they ride smoother. If you decide to get a set of chains check out tirechain.com they have some really good prices.

/ R4s Wiff #13  
In a perfect world where $$$ is no object I would own all size tractors...SCUT-CUT-utility- Ags with all kinds of different tire threads. As it stands now in reality I can afford only one tractor so I went with a medium sized one and R4s, its a compromise and I did right.