Rabies..............

/ Rabies.............. #1  

Anonymous Poster

Why does the states or at least my state not offer free vacinations for this terrible disease ? I know they throw baited vacines out of helicopters/airplanes on occasion to wildlife,but why charge citizens to have there animals vacinated for such a deadly disease ? A lot of people we be more likely to take a cat or dog to the vet or wherever if there was not a charge,or at least make it very reasonable or the state pay part of the fee. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Rabies.............. #2  
Mississippi, for all it's other shortcomings in the government, seems to have a handle on this problem. There is a Department of Health program throughout the state scheduled in shopping centers and other public venues where you can take an animal and have them vaccinated for $5.00 by a licenced vet. I believe you can also visit the Vet School and have it done.

L. Smith

/ Rabies.............. #3  
<font color="blue"> Why does the states or at least my state not offer free vacinations for this terrible disease ? </font>

Probably because someone would ask, "Why should my tax money dollars pay for your pet's vaccination?"

Not trying to start anything, but that's what I'd say. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I can afford vet bills for my cat, but couldn't afford them for a horse. But I'd own a horse if the government would pay for the medical bills... is that a good example?

With that said, I agree that rabies is a terrible disease.

/ Rabies..............
Thats cool Moss .... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But me speaking..this stuff can get passed to all mammals,be it from a wild animal to a pet and back to a wild animal or human...but hey I asked the question and you give me an answer.....

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rabies.............. #5  
Yeah, I agree. It is a bad disease. If people would use common sense and have their animals vaccinated, it sure would be nice. The raccoons are really spreading it further west every year. They are thriving on peoples' garbage. With as many as you see dead on the road, I'd think it would make a dent in their population, but it doesn't seem to. They sure are adaptive little creatures, aren't they?

/ Rabies.............. #6  
Yeah, you'd think they would help, but the people without pets would be upset that they would have to subsidize the program. It's a slippery slope - the next thing you know the government would expect:

Childless couples to pay property taxes for schools.
Non-drivers to pay taxes to build roads.
Pacifists to pay taxes to support the military.
Telephone subscribers to pay fees to allow others to have Internet access.
The young to pay for the old, the rich for the poor.

and so it goes.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rabies.............. #7  
Just at first thought, having the free rabies vacinations sounds good, but when you think about it, the medicine isn't "free"; someone has to pay for it. And from what I can find on the Internet, the United States has 1 to 3 deaths a year from rabies; most caused by contact with a couple of species of bats rather than domestic animals. I know one death is one death too many, but compared to all the other things that kill people in this country, how much of our tax dollars should be spent on this as compared to fighting other diseases? I'm not expressing an opinion; just something to think about.

/ Rabies.............. #8  
In a nut shell, if the owner can't afford to pay for the proper medical care of their pets; they shouldn't have them in the first place. Not trying to sound cold hearted but that's life.