Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #1  

Cramby

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL TLBMMM
Looking to clear brush and small saplings with a Mahindra Max 26xl. Have been doing it with just the bucket, works ok but, I want a more effective way to do the job. Saw some videos on both styles. Looking for first hand experience using these tools. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #2  
What is the maximum size (diameter) of the saplings? Are there a lot of viney plants and multi-stemmed clusters of shrubs?

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar
What is the maximum size of the saplings? Are there a lot of viney plants and multi-stemmed clusters of shrubs?

Saplings 1" to 2". alot of clusters of Autumn Olive.Oh ya and plenty of poison ivy.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #4  
I use my piranha bar all the time to rip out autumn olive on my property and it works great. I just drive up to it with the bucket skimming the ground and it will snag it and rip it right out of the ground. Never even slow down just keep going and drive to the next one that needs ripping out.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #5  

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
   / Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #6  
I don't have either, but for my uses, the Piranha would be a more versatile tool, largely because you can dig with it. For small, brushy/viney stuff, the RR would probably do just as well, though. From your description, you'd likely be happy with either.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #7  
I just purchased and installed the piranha bar. I also have a lot of small diameter saplings and viney under growth. The piranha seems to do a great job at clearing the area. I'm sure the ratchet rake would have a slight advantage in some applications but the piranha bar seems to do a great job. Plus, I can drive forward with the bucket skimming the surface and it seems to cut through the brush pretty easily

Just last night I used the piranha bar to back drag huge clumps of ground vines without an issue. Of course, no photos no proof. Lol

I will try to get some good photos up in a day or two.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #8  
I have neither but I don't think I would like those nylon straps across the bucket nor the lack of digging ability. SURE it comes off quickly, but why have to do it anytime you want to dig a little dirt or use the bucket to pick up limbs etc. I think the Piranha bar would be my choice for an add on toothed bar.
I did have a toothed bar on my last tractor but I have to say that I do without one on my B26 and it still digs in all but the hardest clay without any problem and I like that I can back drag without leave teeth marks in the dirt.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar
Thanks all. Good info. Have checked the archives and I think for me it is the pirauna bar.

/ Rachet Rake vs Pirauna Bar #10  
Wive had a pihrannah bar on my Massey for
Bout a year noe and like it. My primary reason was for better digging in the tough rocky soil we have here secondly for the saplings. It digs tell I will say and haven't nicked it yet hooking some of rhe many shale outcrop pings here although I try not to get too foggy with it. On and off takes 2 minutes and 2 3/4" wrenches, simple.
As for saplings it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I can hook them and sometimes they slide right up the teeth so I wreck them with the hoe then scoop. The teeth do snag them nicely once it's loosened up some. Saplings are a pita no matter how you do them so sometimes I chainsaw them a foot up to clear away the mess then come back with the hoe afterwards and dig up the clumps of leftovers. Cutting them high is easier cutting and won't leave a pile of tire pokers waiting for a victim
One thing to watch out for with this bar, those teeth are gruesomely sharp and around 2" long sticking out in front of everything. Treat them with great respect while you are out in front doing whatever working. I am going to paint mine yellow this year so they are more visible. I would imagine if you bend over quick and catch one of those in the forehead you would in for a trip to the ER. They remind me of Megalodon teeth, just much harder, treat accordingly.

Last edited: