Radiator care

/ Radiator care #21  
Non issue with me as I either own or lease the fields and I always walk the perimeter prior to cutting, especially where their are property owners next to them. Seems as though adjacent property owners have no respect for land they don't own. I always get their trash on the borders which I throw back on their property.

Think I mentioned it before but one of the leased fields, the adjacent property owner actually dug a hole for a BBQ pit in the field and the property owner (not me) took the clown to court and he had to remediate the issue at his own expense plus reseed it. People today are either stupid or ignorant or both.
In my case, I have trees on the property and limbs do get blown down by snow and wind.

/ Radiator care #23  
2013 Kubota M59 with 1460 hours. First coolant change. Old coolant had some whitish color while flushing. Did several plain water flushes bring each up to operating temperature and getting diminishing color. Inspection of core looking down from radiator cap opening looked clear. Cleaned overflow tank. Thin layer of gunk on bottom.

Added bottle of Peak radiator cleaner/flush and water. Per instructions operated 3-6 hours at operating temp over several days time. Drained and again flushed with water several times. Not much color or solids seen. Core looked about the same.

One flush with distilled water.

Added fresh coolant diluted with distilled water. Coolant says it’s good for 10years or 300,000miles.

Know this contrary to Kubota 2year coolant replacement maintenance schedule. Wondering if improved coolant formulas could extend coolant life while protecting the engine? Flushing like I did does take considerable time over several days.

Can’t tell any difference in operating temperature but it’s been hot and humid.
I used to work at a shop that also had a radiator shop,the radiator tech told me to put in 1 large bottle of lime away and use it for a week,I did,no more white,inside of radiator looked like a brand new core. it also takes care of any rust in the coolant or water,but drain coolant first then use plain water with the lime away

/ Radiator care #24  
If not mentioned previously (I'm pressed for time this a.m. and didn't read all the posts.) You might consider Evans permanert waterless antifreeze that is specifically made for diesel engines. You do a flush (or two) with their waterless flush and then put the straight antifreeze into the radiator. It has zero water to cause corrosion and is claimed to be 100% permanent. It's expensive, but certainly worth it if it lives up to the claims.

/ Radiator care #25  
2013 Kubota M59 with 1460 hours. First coolant change. Old coolant had some whitish color while flushing. Did several plain water flushes bring each up to operating temperature and getting diminishing color. Inspection of core looking down from radiator cap opening looked clear. Cleaned overflow tank. Thin layer of gunk on bottom.

Added bottle of Peak radiator cleaner/flush and water. Per instructions operated 3-6 hours at operating temp over several days time. Drained and again flushed with water several times. Not much color or solids seen. Core looked about the same.

One flush with distilled water.

Added fresh coolant diluted with distilled water. Coolant says it’s good for 10years or 300,000miles.

Know this contrary to Kubota 2year coolant replacement maintenance schedule. Wondering if improved coolant formulas could extend coolant life while protecting the engine? Flushing like I did does take considerable time over several days.

Can’t tell any difference in operating temperature but it’s been hot and humid.
Where are you at near K? I'm near Seymour & similar Kubota +2!

Last edited:
   / Radiator care #26  
I read your original post and you never got an answer regarding the whitish color in the fluid. Everything else discussed seems spot on, I grew up back flushing the radiators with a small pneumatic nozzle on our Farm Air compressor before and after every field clipping! The amount of dust and debris will amaze a newbie!

If your local water has a high calcium content, the whitish deposits could be floating calcium or magnesim. You said you refilled with coolant and distilled water - that should reduce the chances of the same floating whitish color if it was "hard water" in the initial coolant mix. Others have spoken of new generation coolants that don't mix with water - If you see something similar in the future even with distilled water - I'd recommend trying the "waterless" coolants. Good luck!

/ Radiator care #27  
I bought an air comb radiator cleaner from local K dealer. Nothing could keep the A/C running when we were haying. Blowing from the front with air or water did no good. Using the air comb from the back and presto the A/C works. $40.46 from amazon, less from dealer.
1690152953508.png

1690152783495.png

/ Radiator care
I bought an air comb radiator cleaner from local K dealer. Nothing could keep the A/C running when we were haying. Blowing from the front with air or water did no good. Using the air comb from the back and presto the A/C works. $40.46 from amazon, less from dealer.
View attachment 812608
View attachment 812607

Been using radiator genie tools for cleaning radiators and air filters. You get both an air and water wands. Best tool for cleaning the shop floor, blowing dirt and grass out the door. Just bought a air comb to try too. Thanks for sharing.

/ Radiator care
Ran the M59 during the hot part of the day using a high load pto Brown tree cutter. Tractor stayed a normal operating temp. Me not so much.

/ Radiator care #30  
I highly suggest switching to the pink coolant on your diesel tractors. Doesn’t cause cavitation.
Seen more long term diesel engine failures from cavitation than I want to.