Radiator drain won't drain

/ Radiator drain won't drain #11  
Turn the valve the 1/4 turn to open. Next push a stiff piece of wire up through the opening in the bottom. It must have dirt or some other substance clogging the drain. This is very common on old equipment.

/ Radiator drain won't drain
Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a try.
I'm thinking that it is plugged with something, as I turn the handle I can see the shaft turning, it has slots on it and seems to be turning out.
Not sure if I can get a wire in there but will try that and the burst of air.

I tried the air, couldn't get a wire in around the bend, the air seemed to loosen the knob a bit but still would stop at the quarter turn, very firm, just like a stop.
At this point not knowing how the valve operated I decided to use an old standby I used for forty years, WD-40. Sprayed in the drain, turned the knob, it got a little easier, sprayed a little more and let it sit a few minutes, turned it again and when I hit the quarter spot it gave way and screwed out, arm full of coolant.
I have no idea what was blocking it at that perfect quarter turn but it felt like a stop, I earlier had used pliers on it and it would not move.
It still has a stop slot when cranked closed so nothing seems broken, no leaks.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the air, couldn't get a wire in around the bend, the air seemed to loosen the knob a bit but still would stop at the quarter turn, very firm, just like a stop.
At this point not knowing how the valve operated I decided to use an old standby I used for forty years, WD-40. Sprayed in the drain, turned the knob, it got a little easier, sprayed a little more and let it sit a few minutes, turned it again and when I hit the quarter spot it gave way and screwed out, arm full of coolant.
I have no idea what was blocking it at that perfect quarter turn but it felt like a stop, I earlier had used pliers on it and it would not move.
It still has a stop slot when cranked closed so nothing seems broken, no leaks.
Thanks for the suggestions.

/ Radiator drain won't drain #16  
Thanks for the solution.

Isn't that armful of fluid always nice in some cases?:D:D:D

Thought I would update this as things have changed a bit.
Went to do the flush and new coolant today, drain was stuck again, sprayed with the WD-40 and it opened again and drained, closed it up and put two bottles of flush in and thought I better look under, sure enough draining all over the driveway. It closed and felt fine but would not seal.
Called a radiator shop in the next county and he said fairly common, he had my radiator in stock. Used my new truck and went over and picked it up(by the way the exhaust brake on the new Dodge is the best thing I've every used) anyway I took the old one out and checked the drain, the sides of the radiator is plastic and the drain also but the knob and shaft are metal. As I looked at the knob I saw something sticking out, I picked at it and finally got it out, a piece of rubber o ring, can't see where it came from but was the problem, can see no way to replace the valve or o ring.
Although I wasn't real happy about replacing the radiator it should outlast this truck.
Within two weeks I've replaced rotors,pads,wheel cylinders,brake springs, computer,two sensors and now the radiator, this truck has never given me a problem in twelve years and has been taken very good care of. I'm almost afraid to start it again but who knows, might go another twelve years with out another problem.:D

/ Radiator drain won't drain #18  
You have company. My 96 Dodge has had in the last month and a half; new steering box, new rear brake lines, new center bearing and u joints, and a shifting Assembly needed rusted bolts replaced. In total two weeks downtime as the failures occurred on a Friday. Only the steering box was a planned event. Fortunately I was not stranded on the road by any of these failures. :(

/ Radiator drain won't drain #19  
The trouble is that you bought a nice new truck and the 97 is jealous.

The trouble is that you bought a nice new truck and the 97 is jealous.

You may have a point but if that's true then the 97 sits being worked on while I drive the new one, but if she's got an evil mind then the money and time being shelled out is probably making her grin.:D

As of today she's back on the road, I hope for quite awhile, it's been a very expensive month.