radiator hose heater project rant

/ radiator hose heater project rant #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
What a pain in the butt!!Just took a perfectly good running bx-23 and left it disabled trying to hook up a hose heater!! Snow coming tonight and no tractor:mad:
I thought it would be easier on the tractor starting in cold,so I purchased two at TSC last night[because i did not know hose size] Well both were too big.This is after i removed hood,grill gaurd alternator,oil filer,wiring harness,3 hydraulic lines,disconnects for loader,unhooked battery,drained anti freeze.
At a last ditch effort i went to napa and got one that was the right size ,cut my hose ,installed it back togeather ,and is in the way of alt belt,it wont work either:mad:: Now i got a tractor with no radiator hose ,and all ripped apart,with snow coming ,dealers closed on SUNDAY.Ihope they stock the hose:rolleyes:
Im taking all 3 back,and im just gonna run the space heater under the tractor for 15 minutes.
Rant over
ALAN

/ radiator hose heater project rant #2  
Man, that sucks. We all have had days like that. Take a deep breath, and nice stiff drink or two, and fuggetabout it... My suggestion is a magnetic block heater. They are available at TSC, but I bet NAPA has them too. OR, a piece of pipe and a couple of hose clamps to temporarily fix the hose.

Good luck!!

/ radiator hose heater project rant
Iguess my mistake ,was not doing a search here ,and thinking the lower radiator hose heater would work.Most bx owners have a freeze plug knocked out ,and that type of block heater installed.Icould have had that project all done in 1/2 hour most of that would have been hood removal,and install.Idont see how anyone could find room to install the lower heater hose in the 23 ,isnt any room,at all.Thought i could make it fit,until i tryed hooking the alternator back up.
Im gonna call around at work in the morning and try to find a lower radiator hose,then ill skip out early and get it.Gonna try to find a block heater for the 23 also.Now Ihave 3 to return:rolleyes::rolleyes:hindsite is 20/20 i guess.
Ihope my mistake is something all potential bx- hose heater wanters will learn from,tis why i posted,[and to get it off my chest:)]
ALAN

/ radiator hose heater project rant #4  
Man, that sucks. We all have had days like that. Take a deep breath, and nice stiff drink or two, and fuggetabout it... My suggestion is a magnetic block heater. They are available at TSC, but I bet NAPA has them too. OR, a piece of pipe and a couple of hose clamps to temporarily fix the hose.

Good luck!!
He should have given the BX 23 to me when i suggested it.:D
Now I would be the one stuck with the problem not him.:D

/ radiator hose heater project rant #5  
Iguess my mistake ,was not doing a search here ,and thinking the lower radiator hose heater would work.Most bx owners have a freeze plug knocked out ,and that type of block heater installed.Icould have had that project all done in 1/2 hour most of that would have been hood removal,and install.Idont see how anyone could find room to install the lower heater hose in the 23 ,isnt any room,at all.Thought i could make it fit,until i tryed hooking the alternator back up.
Im gonna call around at work in the morning and try to find a lower radiator hose,then ill skip out early and get it.Gonna try to find a block heater for the 23 also.Now Ihave 3 to return:rolleyes::rolleyes:hindsite is 20/20 i guess.
Ihope my mistake is something all potential bx- hose heater wanters will learn from,tis why i posted,[and to get it off my chest:)]
ALAN

Time and time again I have read here how lower hose heaters are easier to install than soft plug heaters. I have never understood that, and never will.

/ radiator hose heater project rant #6  
Man, that sucks. We all have had days like that. Take a deep breath, and nice stiff drink or two, and fuggetabout it...
Alan, I like Dave's suggestion! In fact I'm taking his advice right now!
Stinks to have things go that way. Always when the dealer is closed too!
I checked out your cab project, very nice! Wanna make another one and paint it red?

/ radiator hose heater project rant #7  
Hate it Hate it Hate it when I self inflict pain. I've got a perfect (used to be) Ford Ranger. Just had the paint all done and everything. I love this truck, I've had it for three years, put almost a 100000 miles on it and she's got a total of 120000. I drive her every day to work. LOVE THIS TRUCK.

Backing up to my 14 foot utility trailer three weeks ago in my own backyard. I have the driver's door open, basically because I'm an idiot. Did I mention my properly is heavily treed?

Well you can guess where this is going. Crunch, backed into a tree with the door and bent the crap out of the door, I'm reminded every day I get in and out of the truck of just how dumb I can be.

And each time I look at that door I think, man, I could have real problems (mini-boss could be sick, or I could be sick, or the boss could be sick), and I laugh at how stupid I am and thank goodness for how fortunate I am.

With all that said, lots of beer and wine never hurts.

Good luck with the fix and I was admiring your heater earlier today.

Sincerely,
Joel

/ radiator hose heater project rant #8  
Alan,

Did you install a cab heaters yet? If not, You may want to hold off on returning the heaters, you may find a good spot in-line with the cab heater.
It may be a blessing after all.... keeping you & the tractor nice & hot.

Richard

/ radiator hose heater project rant
Ifeel so stupid now i found the freeze plug on my block,its gonna be so easy.Ijust hope i find one tommorow,with the hose,Ihate to drain the antifreeze twice.:rolleyes::rolleyes:Igot the part numbers on MESSICKS site.There are two,one with a 45 degree on it ,I dont know which one they might have at my local dealer,but i measured the freeze plug,its about 1 and 1/16
LBROWN.

If your so hard up for some warm seat time ,why dont you spend some of that molded money of yours and get a cab?:D:D:D Or plan a trip to MAINE when the next blizzard comes through and ill let you run mine.:)
TORIN,
Im afraid im cab burnout right now.BUT if i get laid off this winter,ill have to drive to NEW HAMPSHIRE for measurements.Mabey we can utilize some metal roofing for the roof:)
JOEL,
SELF INFLICTED PAIN,Igotta remember that saying its funny:D
Thanks everybody,ill feel better when its running.My ford plow truck is behind 10 yards of loam,so ill have to walk behind the old mtd blower if we get dumped on.1500 ft of driveways is just too much to shovel:)
ALAN

/ radiator hose heater project rant #10  
[Im taking all 3 back,and im just gonna run the space heater under the tractor for 15 minutes.
/QUOTE]

Throw a tarp over the tractor and then use the heater and it will work with no problems. In a sense it may be better as everything gets warmed.:D