Radiator sliding screen

/ Radiator sliding screen #1  

fluffyone

Bronze Member
OK guys I have noticed that the Kubota and JD have a slide in and out screen to help keep the radiator clean, the NH and New Farmalls do not. Is this a needed feature or just another sales guimmick? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Radiator sliding screen #2  
The Masseys also have the screen. I like it because it catches most of the junk that could clog up the radiator fins.

/ Radiator sliding screen #4  
You didn't mention what NH model, but on the Class III Boomers, the grill openings are as small as a screen and the "gunk' builds up on them instead of getting inside because all the holes are sealed with rubber or foam. When the grill gets dirty, you just stop, wipe off the crud, and continue. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Radiator sliding screen #5  
My NH 1920 has the slide out screen...

Soundguy

/ Radiator sliding screen #6  
My TC30 has the sliding screen as did my 1210 I had before. I don't think of it as a feature. More as a necessity. I've found alot of debris on the filter which would have been in the radiator fins.

/ Radiator sliding screen #7  
The screen was done away with on the newer Boomers because the radiator was redesigned with wider radiator fins to allow for the debris to go thru them easier and to aid in cleaning. Personally I think it was one of those two dollar savings ideas that when multiplied by thousands of tractors adds up to a lot of dollars.

/ Radiator sliding screen #8  
This does bring up a good point . When you wash your tractor off after use try to get in the habit of also washing your radiator out from the engine side if possible . It helps to dislodge any build up of dust and crud that might be forced against the fins by the suction of the radiator fan . If you live in a area where heavy road salt is used on the road way in the winter, washing the radiator will prolong the life of the radiator considerably.
BigAl
BigAl

/ Radiator sliding screen #9  
My TC29D has a slide up screen. And I do have to watch it because grass clippings get up there pretty fast and I will overheat if not careful. So as a standard, before I mow I pull the screen, tap it on the tire and slide back in.

murph

/ Radiator sliding screen #10  
The big question, will the radiator fins stand up to the water pressure needed to wash out the junk that gets between the fins, hope they made them out of thicker material.