Radiator, specific question(s) on cleaning it

/ Radiator, specific question(s) on cleaning it #1  

electrycmonk

Silver Member
Tractor
Satoh 370 diesel & Cub Cadet 7260 Diesel 4WD standard
So I have these wondering thoughts:
advice prior to this was in the separate thread on changing the temp sensor when I swap out the thermostat.
I had already ordered and received the thermostat & gasket to replace.
Have not done it yet as the chicken coop is almost done & I haven't used it much given the need to finish the coop is a higher priority currently.

How easy is cleaning one of these smaller radiators? Specifically -internally cleaning the tubes is what I mean. For example If I let it sit in a tote for a few days and soak? Kinda like when you soak a tea kettle with vinegar for an over night to clean the scaling off every so often. From what I recall its an all metal unit that looks to be original as well.

Should I use a specific mix, or single item?
should I just get a replacement radiator?
should I order the replacement *just in case* something goes wrong and then just replace it?

If this were 15-20 odd years ago we still had 2 honest-to-god radiator shops in town. I had used both shops in the decade plus years I had already lived here. Sadly they are both gone or I would of just taken it to them for a good "cleaning."

Here is the link to my original thread - for more background story details:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...inding-replacement-radiator-hoses-7260-a.html

/ Radiator, specific question(s) on cleaning it #2  
I have a Mitsubishi D2350 4 cylinder diesel. It was overheating so I took the radiator to a shop (yes we still have one). Still overheating. Flushed and reverse flushed block. Still overheating. Coolant capacity supposedly six quarts - it would hold four. I picked up a quart of Thermo Cure for $20 at Walmart. I followed the directions, running the tractor for four hours or so. I let it cool and drained the radiator. I refilled with water and run until up to temp, cooled, and drained. I repeated this three or four times using distilled water each time. I did start needing more water to fill. When water came out mostly clean I mixed antifreeze and water 50/50 and actually got six quarts into the cooling system. My problem seems solved. By the way, this old beast has no thermostat and no place to put one. I think Mitsubishi purchased Satoh several years ago.

/ Radiator, specific question(s) on cleaning it
/facepalm Sorry K7LN I *know better* then to throw mudd against the wall in a forum to see what sticks "normally". I promise to do better.

the cub cadet 7260 is a ~25HP, diesel, 4WD, stick, CUT that the previous owner (of at least 4-5 years maybe up to 10 yrs- I just forgot) admited to a serious lack of maintenance upkeep due totally to the lack of use it got all that time. They did appear to of kept it in a shed and externally rather clean but, that's it as far as I can see.

As for temps. You are so very right, I forgot the output hose entirely as well - dang it!
When I have done the lazer thermometer each time its been -at most- 2 minutes from kill the engine to checking temps on the tractor. At least 2 of the sessions I actually had the thermometer with me, while operating it. That still doesn't excuse my glaring screw up yesterday.

I had done some reading this AM and thought of the flush route and figured I'd ask what suggestions anyone has. I did a fair bit of web searching and discovered that two different names are from the same parent company. Roadworthy's suggestion is actually one of a few items that the parent company Evapo-rust makes. Go figure eh?

So I'm leaning toward the drain and flush route (this weekend) with K7LN's thinking(I totally agree) of running it a 'little longer' then listed. I was actually thinking of doing a drain and flush with this pattern.
1st drain and fill the flush in radiator "cold"
2nd go mow w/PTO for 15-20 minutes that should be the usual time limit to almost get to the red zone, then shut it down. check temps right then.
3rd several hours later that day repeat #2
4th next morning repeat #2 & #3(if time & WX permits)
5th over next few days (i saw a couple brands of flush recommended keeping in the vehicle as much as a week if you have time)

I think I also saw that at least one was a don't dilute and another was reusable? (shrugs)