Radiator "Stop Leak" products

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #11  
Re: Radiator \"Stop Leak\" products

Yeah I agree. However GM factory new crate engines come with 2 or 3 stop leak tablets with instructions that you must use them.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #12  

When quality manufacturing is no longer, there is always STOP LEAK!!!!

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #13  

Yeah Junkman, and gaskets with o rings in them to compensate for sloppy machining. I hate those suckers, after several years they get hard and start leaking.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #14  

I had a friend who swore by black pepper for radiator leaks!
I've used Bars leak with some success and if you're going to need to replace it anyhow, might as well give it a chance.

Curt

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #15  

I've used them several times, usually they NEVER work more than a few weeks at best. they keep them going for a while but only in a temp suituation. Usually for a leaking heater core and sell the car by spring! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If i'm keeping it I FIX it right cause no matter how much you put in it won't heal anythign that is BROKEN. maybe soem gasket seaps but not leaks... I even tried that stuf that says will seal a 1/4" hole in a block! it was worth less too... I LOVE the fact that GM uses that stuff in EVERY NEW car off the line now! lol... Doesn't say much for their assembly tactics huh! one reason I'll only by fords/mercs and hondas.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #16  

It's been over 45 years ago when I was working in my dad's auto parts store, but we sold several different brands of stop leak and I don't recall ever having a complaint. I do remember that Bars Leak was the best seller and we sure sold a lot of it for the old cars back then. Now, personally, I always preferred removing a radiator and having it fixed right; however, one November friday night, when we were leaving early the next morning on a week's vacation and I was checking the oil, tires, etc. on the old Chrysler station wagon, I discovered it had a radiator leak; bad enough to scare me. But I ran down to the auto parts store, got the Bars Leak, and put it in, intending to pull the radiator when we got back if it lasted that long. But we had no more leak, no overheating, etc., so I never did get around to fixing it "right".

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #17  

No oatmeal Bird?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Egon

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #18  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No oatmeal Bird? )</font>

Never used oatmeal, Egon, but a cousin and I did patch 3 holes in the radiator of his '56 Chevy once with bubble gum to get home. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll never forget that. He looked like a chipmunk with a big mouthful of bubble gum chewing away and yelling at me to shut up and chew, since I was laughing so hard I could hardly chew mine.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products

Well guys it worked! I followed the instructions and within 2 minutes the leak had gone from a full flow of water being sucked into the cooling fan, to a small drip, drip from the bottom of the radiator. I bought a second bottle and the leak is now cured! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #20  

Sounds good.

You are now the Resident Radiator Advisor!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon