radio interference

/ radio interference #11  
adding a few caps here and there will usually help too, even if using the inline choke.. ditto what was said on the ignition noise.

ps.. no.. most rat schack employees don't know a capacitor from a choke.. nor their application..

/ radio interference #12  
adding a few caps here and there will usually help too, even if using the inline choke.. ditto what was said on the ignition noise.

ps.. no.. most rat schack employees don't know a capacitor from a choke.. nor their application..

Remember the old days when rat shack guys actually did know a few things and could identify most discrete components and know what most of them did.? It has been a while, but it is rare to find one that can help you with anything of that nature. And the selection of parts is pretty slim nowadays.

James K0UA

/ radio interference #13  
Remember the old days when rat shack guys actually did know a few things and could identify most discrete components and know what most of them did.? It has been a while, but it is rare to find one that can help you with anything of that nature. And the selection of parts is pretty slim nowadays.

James K0UA

yep.. they know cell phones now.. that's about it.

It's probably been 20-25 ys since i knew a rs employee that knew anything about those blister packs that had items with tinned leads on them.. :)

/ radio interference #14  
Just go to radio shack and pick up a ferrite core (they may call it a choke) it snaps open,you wrap the power wire going to the radio around it 8 or ten times and snap it shut.If the noise is coming in on the antenna just buy a bigger size choke and do the same thing.
Brian

/ radio interference #15  
very little work yeilds very little results.

a minimalistic approach like that is sure to yield sub-optimum performance.

/ radio interference #16  
Im A ham operator I know from which I speak,well usually ;-)

/ radio interference #17  

So are we... and there ain't no free lunch.. and darn few problems of this nature are easy fixes..

James K0UA

/ radio interference #18  
For one thing.... with a rat shack split ferrite core, it is unlikely to even know the mix of the ferrite. Many of them are surplus cores that are repackaged with no information of their permeability Plus we don't even know for sure what band of interest he is having trouble with (540-1710khz or 88 to 108Mhz) AND we don't, or at least I don't know if the problem is alternator whine or ignition noise or what, and I don't know the method of propagation into his receiver. It might be induced on the power leads, but I don't know that. While the OP can check out some of the links and ideas posted here, without experience and electronic knowledge his probability for resolving this problem is low. There I said the same thing Soundguy said, but in a different more verbose way:)

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / radio interference #19  
Pete I sent you a pm,also keep your grounds as short as possible.
Brian

/ radio interference #20  

Like james said. so are we. had my ticket for decades.

KE4RRD

and again. your 1$ 1 minute approach is unlikely to offer much relief to his issue. Plus we need more info.. plus the op needs to do a lil testing and get back to us.

soundguy