Rail Car demolition

/ Rail Car demolition #11  
Looks like a fortune in bird house boards. There a lot of folks that do crafts that like the weathered boards. Might be some in your area. Might check with some gift shops, they would probably know the people that would live to work something out for them.

/ Rail Car demolition #12  
Unless someone would come out and dismantle/take all the wood, I'd be tempted to burn it (with permit of course) and then salvage the steel. Would be a lot easier I think. Then you'd have to scrape and bury all the hardware that came out of the wood.

My two Cents........
Ron

/ Rail Car demolition #13  
Hi
If it were I, I would get my cutting torch and cut a few pieces of steel from it and let it accidentally catch on fire. Looks like it would be completely gone by the time the fire department could get there.
Charlie.

/ Rail Car demolition #14  
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rail Car demolition #15  
If it does burn, accidentally or otherwise, I wouldn't stand too closely. As I recall being around rail cars, they are soaked in creosote or other nasty things that probably give off a lot of toxic gases.

In other words, don't have a BBQ over the ashes!

Best wishes,
Ron

/ Rail Car demolition #16  
I'll take the "reward" sign if that is a problem for you to get rid of. I have the perfect place on the wall just waiting for it to arrive. I will even pay for the sign and the postage to get it here. See, you are making money off that old rail car already.
You say that there are a lot of those cars in the area... What ever caused people to start using them on private property in the beginning? Doesn't seem like it is very easy to get them to the property and once there, it isn't very easy to move or remove them either.....

/ Rail Car demolition #17  
All he needs to do is find out how they got it on the property, and use the same method to get it off the property. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Every great one in a while, I'll see a caboose in someone's yard and I wonder how they got it there. The last one I saw was sitting on a set of rails and was painted up quite nicely. I think they were using it as a guest house.

/ Rail Car demolition #18  
I wonder if the insurance co would go for it you tore off all the old wood and reframed it, put up some of that vertical siding, and painted it up real nice? Might an attractive feature for your property, and useful too.

/ Rail Car demolition #19  
Junkman, around here(Kansas), there are lots of old boxcars sitting on farm property. Most I've seen were used for hay storage. Initially, they might have been used for grain storage as they were fairly weather tight when newer. I don't recall any that had the wheels/carriage under them--they were set up on railroad ties and such.

My guess is this all happened in the late 40's/early 50's. I would guess they were moved by placing wheels under both ends and towing to the destination, much like you would move a house today. I've not seen any newer ones moved to the farms. I suspect any newer ones now are recycled by the RR.

Best wishes,
Ron

/ Rail Car demolition #20  
Most time the Railroad Companies have them cut up for scrap onsite anymore. They sell them as scrap to someone who comes on site or has them transported by rail to where they can cut them up . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif