raising pole barn posts

/ raising pole barn posts #11  
I've done it w/16s. Using a couple 12' 2X4s and cross-braces, screw together a simple a-frame. Spike the apex of the frame to opposite sides of post 4' from top. Put 4' scrap of 1X6 or 2X6 in hole to give bottom of post something to slide against going in. With post lying on ground, place bottom against scrap in hole with a-frame extending away from hole. Starting at top end, raise post over your head, walking toward hole. As you continue to raise, A-frame will support post as it goes up. Remove A-frame from post and repeat...

I used a variation of this technique to erect 2 posts at a time (12' 2X4 on each post). Posts were tied together by top and bottom stringers, which extended in opposite directions to next pair of posts...made squaring up much easier...

Now that I have a BX, I would use FEL to put them up...:cool:

/ raising pole barn posts
I follow you with the A frame. I am a little unclear when you say " spike it to the post on the opposite side". Thanks for all the advice.

/ raising pole barn posts #13  
My wife and I set 20 utility poles, 12 to 15 feet, in 3-foot holes, using a small tractor, chain and an ancient design for lifting poles. First we set a greased 2x6 in the far side of the hole for the butt end of the pole to slide down(instead of tearing up that side of the hole). Our lifting device was a pair of 12-ft 2x6 boards, bolted together in a distorted X shape: a cross brace in the middle made it look like an giant A, but another 6" to a foot of 2x6 extended above the top of the A. To lift, we set the feet of the A a-straddle the hole, held the top of the A about 3 feet above the pole, fixed the chain around the pole near the top, then through the X at the top of the A, then over the hole to the tractor. As the tractor pulled horizontally, the A-frame converted the horizontal motion into a vertical lift on the top of the pole. The butt slid into place against the 2x6 waiting in the hole, and pretty quick the pole was high enough to slide into the hole. The chain does not slide through the crotch of the A-frame; rather the A-frame rises ahead of the pole and ends up leaning against the chain about a 30° angle towards the tractor. I suppose we moved the tractor a bit more than the length of the pole; I don't know if a come-along has that long a cable. A big hazard was mis-estimating the layout, in which case the pole tried to sweep around about 2 feet off the ground looking for somebody's leg to break. When I got on the tractor, the wife's job was to stand at the top end of the pole to steady it as it started up, but never inside the possible radius of a sweeping pole. These were 10-12" creosoted utility poles and quite heavy; your 6x6 stock is surely a lot lighter.
Good luck, and let us know how your job progresses!

/ raising pole barn posts #14  
Looks like a couple of folks explained it to you :) I did a search and found some pictures but they weren't very good. As long as your jig is solid and you pay attention to what is happening this is an easy safe way to raise the beams.

/ raising pole barn posts #15  
I follow you with the A frame. I am a little unclear when you say " spike it to the post on the opposite side". Thanks for all the advice.

Basically, you're creating a pivot point between the a-frame and post with the spikes...with pole and a-frame lying on ground, spikes go thru a-frame into post sides that are perpendicular to ground...

"Spikes" = large nails

Caveats: With 20-footers, you may need longer legs on a-frame. A "wet" PT 20-footer may require 2 people...

Last edited:
   / raising pole barn posts #16  
I did 16' by myself by hand, was pretty easy. put one end over the hole, grab it about 2/3 of the way down and walk it up and let it slide in the hole.