Ramp to get over fence

/ Ramp to get over fence #12  
If your insurance agent sees it....

How long before somebody breaks their neck?:(

/ Ramp to get over fence #13  
Around here, nobody has callte gates. You just dig a ditch and lay pipe down across it. Cattle are afraid to cross it. Looks like a gap in the fence, which it is. They never get out.

/ Ramp to get over fence #14  
WCH,
From what you just discribed, it sounds like you mean a cattle gap, which is probably the best way to keep cows in, if there is much traffic entering and exiting the area.
Old railroad tracks also work well for this, if you don't have acess to pipe.
David from jax

/ Ramp to get over fence #15  
Do you know what a cattle guard is? The reason I ask is a lot of folks don't have a clue what one is. Get one of those and install it at a gate or near a gate.

zkubota said:
Okay, I've done a search, but not an easy topic to search it seems.

I'm wanting to build a ramp that will allow our four-wheelers and dirtbikes to cross without letting the cattle. (I know, lazy eh!) I'm thinking off just building a dirt ramp on the non-cattle side then a pipe ramp on the cattle side, kind of like a cattle guard on an incline?

Anyone have any ideas, done this yourself, pics, links, etc...

should I just build a narrow cattle guard and install?

thanks
zac

/ Ramp to get over fence
2manyrocks said:
If your insurance agent sees it....

How long before somebody breaks their neck?:(

Well, I hope they don't drive down a little further and see my motocross track :)

rback33OK said:
I am in the gate camp. Much less labor intensive and would actually BELONG in a fence. If they are not responsible enough to handle opening and closing a gate then they should not be driving atv's. Just my .02, others thoughts may vary.:(

The crossing is only for myself and my children. We are all responsible enough to stop an open the gate. I have numerous gates, but for this pasture that the kids and I frequent I don't want to open/shut a gate.

Sounds like the miniature cattle guard might be the simplest. Although I may like the thought of launching my dirtbike over the fence!

Thanks for the thoughts, anymore?

/ Ramp to get over fence #17  
I have been cross fencing my place for the last few weeks and have looked at the atv ramp. It is well made but the way I see it is just go ahead and install a full cattle guard. I have already installed 4 guards and have one more to go. I'm not responsible enough to get out/up/off of whatever I'm driving to open a gate. So much better to just drive over and keep on cruising.

/ Ramp to get over fence #18  
sandman2234 said:
WCH,
From what you just discribed, it sounds like you mean a cattle gap, which is probably the best way to keep cows in, if there is much traffic entering and exiting the area.
Old railroad tracks also work well for this, if you don't have acess to pipe.
David from jax

I just didn't know there was a technical name for it. I have led a sheltered life.

/ Ramp to get over fence #19  
WCH,
You been around the block more than you are admitting. Anyone that would know how cats taste has been out of those hills and into the city at least a time or two. By the way, if you want to hunt tourists, there is a season on them down here, so come on down...
David from jax

/ Ramp to get over fence #20  
Hey sandman, you crack me up.

Many moons ago when I ingested too many chemicals, I lived in New Jersey. There was a Chinese restaurant there that had the best Chinese food for counties around. The owner was busted picking up road kill and taking cats out of driveways. It was in the newspaper so it must be true. So it's funny you mention about being in the city.:)