Ramps vs. Tilt deck

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #11  
Maybe this is just because I don't have any flat ground but you did what? Half the time the truck and trailer will take off while unloading with them hitched together (tongue lifts rear truck tires off ground) never mind unhitched!

When I went to unload, I just un-hitched the trailer from the truck and backed off. I let the front of the trailer go up and used the FEL to control the front of the trailer to the ground by pressing on the back and lowering it slowly.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #12  
Maybe this is just because I don't have any flat ground but you did what? Half the time the truck and trailer will take off while unloading with them hitched together (tongue lifts rear truck tires off ground) never mind unhitched!

If your trailer has ramps you need to use jack stands under the back end or have ramp supports to prevent the tractor (or whatever you load) from pushing down so much that it picks the back end of the truck off the ground. I don't have that problem with a tilt bed trailer.

Last edited:
   / Ramps vs. Tilt deck #13  

Hinged "loading legs" that drop down to a couple of inches off the ground are a good option!

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 840
   / Ramps vs. Tilt deck #14  
I guess I though we were talking car hauler trailers, not equipment trailers. I have seen wood deck tilt equipment trailers.

Chirs

The one I am talking about is a car hauler.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #15  

Probably would have made a good video for YouTube.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #16  
My first 20' trailer had heavy ramps. My current trailer is a 22' tilt bed and i like it. It does not get used a lot in winter though. But if i am transporting my tractor in the winter, it has chains on it.

Ken

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #17  
I am a BIG fan of tilt trailers. My application is different than some as I usually only haul one machine at a time. I love the ease of loading. I love the low center of gravity. I love not haveing to haul ramps around.

My trailer is a 16' tilt with double axles and a diamond plate deck. The loading angle is about 10 degrees.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #18  
It's a matter of personal preference! I really don't care for tilt beds, I've had them in different sizes, didn't like them very well. Two of my three flatbeds have ramp gates. The third uses ramps, alum for most loads, steel for heavy loads. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 375
   / Ramps vs. Tilt deck #19  
I am a BIG fan of tilt trailers. My application is different than some as I usually only haul one machine at a time. I love the ease of loading. I love the low center of gravity. I love not haveing to haul ramps around.

My trailer is a 16' tilt with double axles and a diamond plate deck. The loading angle is about 10 degrees.

I've always thought this would be a good tilt trailer.

LANDOLL LT1020

Model
Capacity* Deck Axles Tires & Ply Rating
LT1020 10,000 Lbs. 20' x 8'6 2 235/80R 16LRE

Landoll Corporation - Model LT1020

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #20  
I have an Econoline 7 ton 21' deckover manual tilt bed Trailer. I work alone 100% of the time. I absolutely love the tilt feature. I simply release the latch, stand on the tail to tilt the bed down, drive the tractor on the trailer until the bed starts starts to tilt back and that's it. Loaded and you know with great confidence where the center of gravity for your load is with respect to your axles.

That said, I wish I had a 10 ton gooseneck tilt with 5 feet of fixed trailer bed up front so I could load an attachment up front. My current trailer is a conventional tow, so I load attachments in the truck bed.