Oil & Fuel Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel?

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #1  

jobyg1

Tractor
Kubota
I just bought my BX1500 this summer. It ran great until I left the fuel cap off and got water in the tank. I drained the tank and changed the filters. It ran fine back in September or October, the last time I used it.

Now it is December in Vermont (in the 30s right now, but colder over night). I started it up and it idled for about 5 minutes and died. Now it will not start. It will occasionally kick and clunk on its own for a couple of cycles.

Could this be residual water in the fuel that didn't affect it in the Fall? What should I do? Drain the whole tank again, or does it not sound like water in the fuel?

Thank you for any help I can get.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #3  
After it's been sitting you could disconnect the fuel line at the filter and drain a bit , dump out or change the filter bleed the air and then try starting again . All the water should be at the bottom of the tank.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #4  
It could be water in the tank, or ice in the fuel filter. I'd drain a bit out of the tank, change the filters, and add a dose of Power Service 911 into the fuel to make sure it's not gelled fuel causing the problem. You almost certainly got summer blend diesel last time, and that could be part of the problem....a little extra water in the tank, cold temps and all of sudden you have a problem.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel?
Thanks for the replies. I got it running, but I am wondering if there may be something I need to do in the future.

A little more info. It may not be related, but the battery will not hold a charge. I had it tested and it was fine, so I assumed it was a slow drain. I haven't had the time to try and trace the source, so I installed a screw type disconnect on the negative post. No lights will go on while it is unscrewed, so I assumed that the battery was fully disconnected. When I first came out, it it would not turn over. I say this, because throughout all of this, the tractor was being jumped by my truck. The first time it started pretty easily. I held the glow plugs for maybe five to ten seconds and it started right up. It idled for about five minutes and then died and would not start again.

How I got it running was, I plugged the block heater back in and left it for a little while (it had been plugged in over night the first time when it died). I came back after 30-45 min or so. This time I let the glow plugs go for about 30 seconds. It started up this time, but it started to cough and sputter if I raised the throttle, so I let it idle at a low RPM. It was fine. I slowly raised the RPMs and continued to let it idle. From there it was good to go. I ran it for about 45 minutes moving snow with no problem.

I am sure these are newbie questions, so thank you for your patience.

Yes, could be residual water But seeing how problem showed with onset of cold temperatures could it be untreated (summer) fuel still in it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel_point_(petroleum)

If this is the problem, what should I do if I do have fuel from the summer? Do I put in some additive? Is it now just bonfire starter? When I changed all of my fluids at the end of the summer, I did research to see what to do to winterize the tractor, and the consensus seemed to be not to put in fuel additive. All of the responses here seem to say that it is a necessity. I am a bit confused.

After it's been sitting you could disconnect the fuel line at the filter and drain a bit , dump out or change the filter bleed the air and then try starting again . All the water should be at the bottom of the tank.

Even though I fully drained it and changed the filters, I was wondering if there was a chance that there was water still in the tank. Is the fuel line to lowest point in the tank, or is it a bit higher to allow sediment to settle to the bottom. If so, I could see there still being a substantial amount of water at the bottom. Would draining the lines again help, or could there be quite a bit of water sitting at the bottom, slowly mixing in with the fuel?

Thank you so much for your replies. I wish I could be one to add to threads, but I am new to this.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #6  
You are not " new" you just lack the on the job training you are now getting. Battery may have been about to give up. Take it to one of the autoparts places and get it tested. As you have learned the 911 service additive will keep your fuel from jelling. Buy your fuel from a truck stop or station that sells a lot of fuel and you will reduce the chance of getting water when you buy your fuel. This is a good site for reading. You will learn stuff on here that you have never thought about.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #7  
Good advice from all...definitely use Power Service! I use it all year long for lubricity purposes, but it's anti-gelling properties are an added bonus.

BTW, my guess is the fuel was at the gelling point and that's what stalled your Kubota.

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #8  
Another thought... You said you changed the "filters". Did you mean air filter and fuel filter or first fuel filter and second fuel filter? Many new BX owners don't realize there are two fuel filters... one you can easily see and one tucked under the fuel tank out of sight. Guess which one usually gets clogged first?

/ Ran for five minutes and died - water in fuel? #9  
When it's below freezing water can freeze on the fuel filter as well as at the tank bottom screen, restricting fuel flow. The filter and/or the tank outlet screen can also be clogged with crud. If you're using summer fuel you ought to treat it with some winter additives. You can drain some fuel from the filter housing into a clear glass jar . If there is liquid water at the bottom of the fuel, that's most likely your problem.

You should also know that below ~ 40F, you should use starting aids to make starting easier. Lower ambient temperature require more starter current to turn the engine over (higher starter torque requirements due to oil viscosity increases) and a cold battery delivers lower current. That's why starting aids are generally added to diesel for non-tropical environments. So use your block heater and glow plugs for starts below ~ 40F.