Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas?

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #1  

RUMBLON

Silver Member
OK, so I ran my 22010 BD out of diesel. I added 3.5 gallons and now I cant get it to fire. Just keeps turning over like there is no fuel. It died when running originally and I looked inside the tank and realized I ran it out. quit rather quickly too. So, is this little yanmar like newer truck? Is this a big deal or should this fire right up when I fill it up?

I know nothing about these fuel systems.

Thanks for any help. I was right in middle of some work too.

RUMBLON

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #2  
Some have a hand primer under the hood to prime the fuel system.

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas?
Some have a hand primer under the hood to prime the fuel system.

Any idea what it looks like or where it is? And if there is none, then what??

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #4  
You might want to search on bleeding the fuel lines.

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas?
OK, I got it. I think I was over thinking it because I am used to hearing all the issues with running out newer diesel trucks. simple bleed and it started right up. tHANKS

DAVE

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #6  
if your lucky, you will only have to bleed at the fuel filter. If not you may have to bleed at the injectors

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #7  
On the advice of the long-time dealers who have posted here - I have never bled at the injectors, only at the three bleed screws: filter inlet, filter outlet, pump input. The theory is that the pressure from the pump will force any air through the injector so opening a line there doesn't do anything.

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #8  
On the advice of the long-time dealers who have posted here - I have never bled at the injectors, only at the three bleed screws: filter inlet, filter outlet, pump input. The theory is that the pressure from the pump will force any air through the injector so opening a line there doesn't do anything.

I have never had to bleed at the injectors either.. Bleeding at the filter has always done it for me... Of course, I have never ran mine out of fuel. Just had to bleed after fuel filter maintenance

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #9  
I have never had to bleed at the injectors either.. Bleeding at the filter has always done it for me... Of course, I have never ran mine out of fuel. Just had to bleed after fuel filter maintenance

Ditto! I always check all my fluids before I start it. The only time I let my Fuel get much under a 1/4 of a tank is at the end of the season when it sits for the Winter. I'm lucky I Have Off Road within a mile of me. When I get it out at Spring I'll either fill it up with Fresh Fuel. Or if It's due for a filter change then I'll change it and drain the tank and pour out the old. All the Dirt and Debris is at the bottom from sitting and that's what I'm esp. after.

/ Ran my 2201BD out of diesel, now it wont start? Any ideas? #10  
My experience has nearly always been bleeding due to maintenance too. But the first time was ignorance, not watching the fuel level then operating in a steep part of the orchard.
The only other time I recall running out was a night when some idiot drove down into the orchard to steal apples and got stuck. :pullinghair: I went down to drag him out, and tried to handle it diplomatically because he was an employee of the neighbor who contracts to harvest here. Again, the ground was steep enough that my low fuel level was insufficient. In this instance I hadn't planned on using the tractor before refueling. Then after all the drama of refueling and bleeding in the dark, confiscating a couple of garbage bags of apples and dragging him the rest of the way back up to the lane and sending the idiot on his way - I learned later the neighbor had fired him that day for incompetence.
If I had known that I would have left him abandoned in the dark to call for a $200+ tow. :fiery:
Stuff happens ....

Anyhow - Rumblon, I'm glad to read that you got it running. I hope now its ok to sidetrack your thread. :D