Ran over deer with mower....ugh.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh.
they are large enough to forage on their own and to run very quickly.

I don't hunt (but live in woods so see dozens of them). I've not seen any spots on them for a while now. I DO see smaller deer meandering in the fields. They act like they are young. Definatly not well versed in what a Pyrenese dog who's on a leash barking violently at the deer as they just munch on the grass 30-50 feet away from us, ignoring her going ballistic. One of these days I feel like letting BOTH dogs go (other is easily half the size of the Pyr but is the meaner of the two dogs and would attack them if he could catch them. Buni (Pyr) would likely lick them if she could catch them. Learned that 2-years ago when we/she stumbled upon a fawn that could barely stand. Would take 5 steps, wobble and lay down. She just smelled and nudged it with her nose. Rufas was salivating..... I think he was seeing lunch BUT, tight leash kept him held back.

They just meander as we walk towards them, me trying to make noise so they flee.

Boneheads

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #12  
Hopefully my comment didn't make anyone squeamish.....lol Me, I'd much rather shoot and eat them than puree them in the hay bine.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #13  
We had a small valley area and when I mowed down there I was pretty sure to het a rabbit each time.
We had a German Sheppard back then. He wouldn't pay any attention when I mowed the rest of the farm but always showed up when I got close to the killing zone. He usually got his tenderized rabbit meal.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh.
We had a small valley area and when I mowed down there I was pretty sure to het a rabbit each time.
We had a German Sheppard back then. He wouldn't pay any attention when I mowed the rest of the farm but always showed up when I got close to the killing zone. He usually got his tenderized rabbit meal.

Heh, actually made me chuckle as it brought back a memory.

20 years ago, cutting a different location.... (open field) I was merrily cutting away when all the sudden things "plopped" on and around me.

Befuddled, I looked up, down...sideways....

Seems I had run over a snake that had something like a 2-2 1/2 inch diameter. It got diced and tossed.....landing on and around me.

(I won't mention a different time I ran over a hornet or bee's nest. Next time around the field, I noticed a swarm buzzing an area.... I saw on the ground, the shredded remains of their nest that was built in the same type stuff I'm cutting right now.

I went to another area to cut, returned there the next day to verify the nest (yep) and to gloat at having terrorized them AND escaping 100% unscathed!

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #15  
I have seen flies on an animal within a minute of blood being there. My opinion is that either doe or buck it had some injury and thus it was difficult or impossible for it to move. I have had them hang tight when mowing but always moved when they would be ran over. Now with a bat wing mower perhaps it thought it was clear of the tractor (but not the mower).
In any event those things happen at times.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #16  
I was mowing our back yard just as it was getting dark when I thought I ran over a towel...mower cut off (Cub zero turn). It was a big ground hog. Those hogs are stupid, I ran over one with a car last week.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #17  
The highway sure gets bloody while everyone runs over a dead deer though.
That's because it's alive when it gets hit. If you run over a dead animal it won't bleed.

/ Ran over deer with mower....ugh. #18  
Came real close here.

1701049299601.jpeg