Rate this Slope

/ Rate this Slope #21  
We have a lot of slopes and they are hard to gauge in pictures and even looking at them on foot at times as opposed to from the seat. I doubt that I will ever get "comfortable" on some of our slopes no matter how many times I mow them; maybe that's a good thing, keeps me careful.

I've found the more you use a tractor though and more slopes you encounter the less uncomfortable you get, I do notice my going from a big tractor to a smaller one always makes the smaller one feel more tippy.

/ Rate this Slope #22  
I don't have 4wd, but I thought that I had heard somewhere that it was better not to use 4x4 on a side slope. I thought it was better to slide a little than to grab because that may be the cause of tipping. I could see going down a hill 4x4 would be better because then you have 4 wheel braking/ engine braking.

/ Rate this Slope #23  
In retrospect, it is much better to be Safe than Sorry. Just a suggestion? Have you ever considered purchasing a Tiltmeter? They aren't very expensive and are even listed in TBN's Store. There are several threads and posts in regards to them.

does anyone else have a problem with this link from the tbn forums homepage? I can't get to it.

/ Rate this Slope #24  
I don't have 4wd, but I thought that I had heard somewhere that it was better not to use 4x4 on a side slope. I thought it was better to slide a little than to grab because that may be the cause of tipping. I could see going down a hill 4x4 would be better because then you have 4 wheel braking/ engine braking.

We started out with a new 2WD Massey Ferguson 375 and traded it in on a 4WD Massey Ferguson 375 in a few months, so our experience was a 4WD worked better. The only time I ever lost control of a tractor on a slope was with that 2WD tractor; didn't turn over, but scared the snot out of me.

I don't know if our experience is indicative of anything, just what works best all around for us.

/ Rate this Slope #25  
I wasnt mowing but withe my backhoe swung up hill when I moved my guage read just alittle over 20 degrees. I was concerened a few times. 247.jpgJust be safe. cobb71

/ Rate this Slope #26  
cobb71,
If you do much of that stuff Just be safe, fix your rops.

/ Rate this Slope #27  
cobb71,
If you do much of that stuff Just be safe, fix your rops.

X2!!! That not even Roll Over Protection System the way it is. Its just the remenants of what used to be a ROPS. Its one of those things you probably want to fix BEFORE you need it!!:D

/ Rate this Slope #28  
take your time and do what you feel is safe. as you get experience you will end up pushing things more and more. hopefully not to point of rolling tractor.

for myself on steeper hills, mowing up and down is not really an option at the road side ditch. and take the hills at an angle.

i will go slower on steep hills for sure. slower i go less chance of when hitting a bump on high side or going into a hole on the low side. and all of a sudden tipping over. the slow speed gives me more reaction time to correct things.

i rarely will drive across a steep hill. to much can go wrong way to quickly. steep hills for me are any were from 25 to 45 degree angles.

have rear tires filled with a fluid can help reduce COG further down on tractor. vs adding weights higher up on the tractor. to help reduce tipping over.

/ Rate this Slope #29  
   / Rate this Slope #30  
I stopped my tractor on my side slope and climbed off. I put a large carpenter's protractor across the rear end with a level and determined that my slope was around 20-22 degrees. It felt very tippy to me. Then I put a hand on the roll bar and pushed. I found I could just barely lift the back wheel of my BX. Knowing that I'm sitting higher, that shifts the COG even more. I mounted 50 lbs of wheel weights on each side for good measure and that helped. Tires were already loaded.

Keep it low and just go slow!