Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container

/ Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container
Well, I don;t think this is "Soon to be", but found this one hanging out by the front porch when the wife and my 4 year old came home. I almost lost my "man card" when I saw him. He was about 10' from the front door and I was carrying my daughter. I put him at 3-3.5' and 12 rattles on the tail

Snakecharmer 410 worked very well :thumbsup:. In one picture, you can see his head in the upper right

Attachments

• snake 1.jpg
    snake 1.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 389
  • snake 2.jpg
    snake 2.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 337
  • snake 3.jpg
    snake 3.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 399
   / Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container #42  
Not real familiar with western diamond backs, but I've seen lots of eastern diamond backs half again that big with fewer rattles. I shot a 6 footer that was 11-1/2" around which had 12 rattles. He hangs on my wall, talk about fecal matter......

/ Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container #43  
That gives me the willies just looking at it from this side of the computer screen...hope you get the others...better yet, I hope there aren't any others...did you have any mothballs where that one was at?

That gives me the willies just looking at it from this side of the computer screen...hope you get the others...better yet, I hope there aren't any others...did you have any mothballs where that one was at?

No moth balls there--it is up around the house. I keep that area very well mowed and picked up. I think he had just had a snack and crawled up on the gravel around the house to get warm or stay warm over night--we have had highs in the 80s, but dropping to 50s/60s overnight.

Okay, this is 6 months later, but I finally got "Soon to be"

We have had high 60s to 80 degrees here last week and this boy came out from under my hay barn where he had been denning up.

Today my wife walked past him sunning right by the door..

I must admit that the first shot with the 410 was not as effective as previous encounters--it just made him p$%# off at me. On the second, he tired to crawl back under the barn to hide and die. My father in law, pulled him out and shot 3 resolved the issue.

Attachments

• Snake 1 2011 (2).jpg
    Snake 1 2011 (2).jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Snake 1 2011.jpg
    Snake 1 2011.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 229
   / Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container #46  
Just don't let that sucker bite you. My brother got bit about a month ago by a Copperhead just above the nail of his finger and the Hospital bill at this point stands at $70,000. His insurance is only going to pay $6,000 of that. It only took 4 vials of antivenom @ $10,000 each and the rest is the doctor and overnight stay. He called his liability insurance carrier on the farm and they said they would cover anyone but him since he痴 the policy holder (they are afraid of lawsuits). I'm checking my health insurance policy to verify coverage of this type and looking into insurance at the farm. Rattle snake bites are much worse than a copperhead. $70,000 seems outrageous to me!

I read your post.. and I've heard these stories before..
And I researched it once..
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/poison/healthpros/utox/Vol3_No1.pdf

Other links show it at $300-500 per vial and up to 15 vials needed..
Sounds like a bill our county hospital would try..

J

/ Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container #47  
Lowes sells Snake-away. A granulated powder that you put on the graund. Works very well for me. I have to use it around my house. I have an unbelievable amount of garter snakes and occasionally a timber rattler.

/ Rattlesnake(s) Under the Shipping Container #48  
I would like to know where you guys find all those moths?