Rattlesnakes

/ Rattlesnakes #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
OK. Here's a real poblem.....A friend lives on a property quite a way from us - over on the eastern foothills of the Rockies and situated next to a whole valley of sage and puckerbrush. Lots of small - and large - game of all kinds, and unfortunately lots of snakes too. She likes most critters including all the harmless bullsnakes and similar, but would really like to keep the rattlesnakes away from the house and garden and her small kids. The snakes feel otherwise. They like it there too. Especially tool sheds, or under the porch, or around any brush pile. She and her husband probably removed a dozen just last year. She lost a dog recently to a rattlesnake bite, and I'll admit that it puts a whole new dimension on doing gardening and yard work.

So, how would you keep rattlesnakes out of the yard?

rScotty

/ Rattlesnakes #2  
We don't get tons of rattlers, but they're definitely around here. My cats occasionally catch a small one and the gopher snakes probably help too. I see a small rattler very occasionally any more though we saw them fairly often when we first moved here almost 30 years ago.

Apparently guinea hens will actively hunt and kill rattlesnakes. Chickens will defend against them, but won't go after them.

/ Rattlesnakes #3  
there is a list of 11 animals who hunt rattle snakes ... unfortunately I don't think any of them would help you other then maybe a cat...

/ Rattlesnakes #4  
Had decent luck with this stuff kind of pricey but I hate snakes. I'm referring to decent luck with non venomous ones. Spread a perimeter around wood piles etc, with a cheap handheld broadcast spreader a couple times in the summer. The victor brand seems to hold up better/ longer in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-155111.png
    Screenshot_20230306-155111.png
    823.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230306-154847.png
    Screenshot_20230306-154847.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
   / Rattlesnakes #5  
I’d be thinking a sidearm with .22LR snake shot.
They are one miserable creature.

/ Rattlesnakes #6  
wow snake shot... interesting didn't even know that was a thing... I like...

The fear of snake is ingrain in us from the beginning of time I am glad we don't have any where I am from.

/ Rattlesnakes #7  
Work on the rodent problem & the snakes should leave when there's no food ... or combination rat/mouse poison & glue traps. You may wind up killing some non-venomous snakes, but ... you can't make an omelette ... etc.

/ Rattlesnakes #8  
Problem is in my case anyway they always seem to pop out of nowhere when I least expect them to.

/ Rattlesnakes #9  
Problem is in my case anyway they always seem to pop out of nowhere when I least expect them to.
All the more reason.