Razor Clams.......can't beat em!

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em!
Willl.......I dig both ways.....shovel and gun.....just depends on how quick I want to be. Guns sure make it easy but it is cheating a little bit. Pete......if you ever want to go.....more than welcome to join us. It is a long way for 15 clams but it sure is fun. Never heard of the salt trick.....probably not legal here. We do look for the holes.....sometimes they're showing real well....other times you really need to search. I've had my clams in 5 minutes and I've been out there for an hour....just depends on the mood of the clams I guess.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #12  
Never did any clam digging and never seen clam fritters, but I do like fried clams and New England style clam chowder. In fact, I keep a can of Campbell's clam chowder on hand. It's a long ways from being the best, but it's better than nothing.:laughing:

Good Evenin Bird,
Actually some of the store bought chowders arent that bad... no comparison to fresh chowder but if your not along the coast and you like chowder, youve got to do something !:)

When we went over to Ireland a few years back, we had some of the best fish chowder I have ever had, Im actually making myself hungry just thinking about it ! ;)

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #13  
Scotty, the best clam chowder I ever had was in January, 1974. at Anthony's Fish Grotto in San Diego when I was there for the Helicopter Association of America conference.

And the best fish chowder was what we used to make ourselves in the days when my parents lived at Port Aransas and with Dad usually fishing 5 days a week, we had all the fish we needed.

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #14  
Can't wait till Saturday night the dig is on!!!

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #15  
How do you get the gritty sand out of them? I hate chewing sand!

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #16  
I love all things seafood... when we lived in Coupeville Wa next to Penn Cove, had a friend who worked at the Penn Cove mussel farm, we always had a five gallon bucket full. Had a Navy buddy whose father worked at a salmon hatchery in Porland Or and we always had a freezer full of large female salmon too.
Many folks dug for clams during low tide but I never got the chance.

mark

Sand isn't a problem if you rinse them well while cleaning. Had a batch tonight for dinner.....ummmmmm good.....no sand either. Some people leave a little sand in them to help clean their teeth while they eat.....cheaper than going to the dentist!:laughing:

/ Razor Clams.......can't beat em! #19  
Bird you can always buy canned clams and make your own chowder.

I dig 25 buckets of steamers/butters every set of low tides and occasionally eat a couple(mostly for crab bait) but when we dig razors:licking:they are all for eating:licking:
Usually eat a few of the feet raw while digging and cleaning. Do you guys know about the quick dip in boiling water as the first step in cleaning? We usually can the extras instead of freeze as they seem to keep their flavor better that way.

Yep....the quick dip in hot water (doesn't have to be boiling....just real hot) makes those shells come right off. You just don't want to leave them in there too long......otherwise you cook the meat. I use scissors to clean the clams.....a few cuts....clean em out......in the pan or bag for freezing. Never ate the digger raw.....have done oysters but not clams????