Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #11  
Don't know if that slot in the cabinet was there on purpose

Yep, it was, and was in most of the older homes I've seen.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #12  
The little slot in one of my old medicine cabinets even said "blade disposal" or some such.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #13  
I've had a full beard since I was about 25 or so, and I only shave my neck. Whatever razor my dear wife supplies gets used, including hers if she doesn't catch me. Some of those ladies razors can be a real challenge to use....the big-headed ones make it really hard to shave close to the beard line. I always try to rinse the white hairs out so she doesn't know I've used hers because she swears I wear them out....explaining that loss of edge is more from corrosion than from use doesn't cut it. I do have one of the old safety razors around somewhere. My dad brought on of these back from the war:

Rolls Safety Razor Page

It has a cracked whet stone, and the only time I tried to use it I almost killed myself!

Chuck

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #14  
When i helped clean my grandfathers stuff up, there was one of those "Rolls Razor" things. It was still in the green box. I hope it wasnt to valuable:( That thing was pretty scary, probably a step up from a straight razor, but not much. It did have a pretty unique sharpener built into the case if i remember.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #15  
When i helped clean my grandfathers stuff up, there was one of those "Rolls Razor" things. It was still in the green box. I hope it wasnt to valuable:( That thing was pretty scary, probably a step up from a straight razor, but not much. It did have a pretty unique sharpener built into the case if i remember.

If you read that site you'll find they aren't worth big bucks. Ours has some sentimental value as one of a small number of artifacts from my dad.

Chuck

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #16  
In High School, my parents gave me an electric razor, so that's what I used until I went to boot camp. The Marine Corps only allowed us to use disposable razors and one type of lotion. That was just one of many things that had to learn in the Marine Corps. After that, I went back to the electric razor, but eventualy started to get a rash from it. I tried new blades and a differen style of electric razor with the same results. I heard of shaving gels from commercials, so I thought I'd give it a try with a better razor. For years, this is what I did. Then one day, I was out of shaving lotion and really needed to shave.

I never tried this before, but I thought that I would try soap. While I was at it, i also tried shaving in the shower without a mirror. The results were amazing. It was the smoothest shave of my life!!! The only difference was the use of Ivory bar soap instead of shaving loation. I don't remember what lotion I used,but I had tried quite a few of them.

Shaving in the shower might have something to do with it too. The heat and steam migh soften my wiskers some, or my face. I don't know for sure, just that I've never gone back or done it any other way since then.

I also shave my head in the shower at the same time I shave my face. I don't use any lotion or soap on my head. I just shave it withe the water from the shower head. Head hair is totally diffrerent then face hair, and it cuts differently.

For years, I used twin blade disposable razors. Then the tripple blades were even better. I tried teh 4 blade models, but don't notice any advantage over tripple head models. One disposable blade will last me a week. I'm not brand loyal and will buy whatever is on sale. Of course, Steph does most of the shopping and I just use whatever she buys for herself. We don't share blades, but keep them in our own spot in the shower. LOL

Eddie

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #17  
Eddie,

I am not sure if you ever had the chance to get shaved in a shop, but my experience (from overseas) was about hot towels on face for significant time. It heats up and softens your facial hair and I have to say I was never able to replicate the shaving I got that day:(

Anyway, for shaving my face and my head I use gilette 3 blade razor and it works like a charm, but you have to give it few days rest. I mean it is not natural to shave everyday, and short fuzz is sexy, isn't it?:D

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #18  
Eddie,

I am not sure if you ever had the chance to get shaved in a shop, but my experience (from overseas) was about hot towels on face for significant time. It heats up and softens your facial hair and I have to say I was never able to replicate the shaving I got that day:(

Anyway, for shaving my face and my head I use gilette 3 blade razor and it works like a charm, but you have to give it few days rest. I mean it is not natural to shave everyday, and short fuzz is sexy, isn't it?:D

I never got shaved in a barbershop, but way back when I used a manual, instead of electric, razor, I've applied the shaving cream, then held a hot wash cloth on my face a few minutes before shaving, and like you said, it really makes a difference.

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #19  
When I lived in Puerto Rico, the barbers would always give me what I think of as the Don Quixote trim on my beard. I don't shave anything but my neck, but they would always shave my cheeks and leave me with almost a goatee-type look. Since my Spanish consisted of being able to order coffee or beer and know when I was being cussed, it was easier to let them have their way with my beard. They always used the hot towels and a straight razor...and I always sat real still and hoped they weren't closet Macheteros! They gave amazingly close shaves and laser sharp beard outlines.

Chuck

/ Razor Revolution or rather de-evolution #20  
Wait, they make SAFETY razors now? Why bother replacing any blades at all when you can get the real thing :)

Good Mornin Jeff,
All I can think of when seeing those razors is Johnny Depp in " The Demon Barber of Fleet Street " ! :eek: