Re: 2320 and off seat PTO

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #1  

MacTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 JD 2320

I for the life of me can't figure out how to operate the PTO while off the seat of my 2320.

I have tried:

1.. Flipping the seat forward
2.. Tractor in Neutral, parking brake on, PTO engage

Each time I engage the PTO, the tractor quits. I am planning on buying a PTO Generator so it would great if I don't have to sit on the tractor to power my house:)

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO

BTW, I don't have a manual.....

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #3  

I don't think the seat forward is the issue. The safety switch onl detects the weight in the seat, it can't tell if it is ALL the way up. Your on the right track with the park brake. I don't think its in the manual, but the manual are available online @deere.com.

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #4  

Using Rear PTO (Operator Off Seat)

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use rear mounted equipment rated for 540 rpm. Do not operate mid or rear PTO over 540 RPM mark on tachometer.

NOTE: The mid-PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat.

Engaging the PTO

1. Sit on operator’s seat.

2. Lock the park brake.

3. Move the transmission range shift lever to the N (neutral) position.

NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO switch knob is in the engaged/on position.

If the operator leaves the seat with the engine running and the mid-PTO engaged, the safety interlock system will stop the engine and all implements.

4. Start the engine.

5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.

MX35678

6. Move the PTO selector lever (A) to position (B) for rear PTO only.

7. Pull the PTO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.

MX35669

• The instrument panel PTO engaged light (C) will illuminate when the PTO is engaged.

8. Adjust the engine speed hand throttle forward to the desired speed for the implement used.

NOTE: The PTO marker on the tachometer indicates engine speed for a standard 540 PTO.

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #5  

On my JD tractor the seat contact plunger looks like a little knob and you and you pull it up to engage the pto.

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #6  

Here's the owner's manual link. Print it off or save the link in your favrorites! Let us know if it works.

OMLVU16740_E9

Yelbike,

I was doing everything but not starting the process on the seat. I was doing everything including starting it while standing next to it.....

I will try that and see if it works.

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #8  

Let us know how it works out for you!

/ Re: 2320 and off seat PTO #9  

It will work if you engage the PTO while on the seat. Then parking brake and neutral will let you get off. You can't engage the PTO under any circumstances unless you are on the seat.

So after performing the above tests I was able to get off the tractor while the PTO in engaged. You do have to Start on seat, then engage neutral and brake, then PTO and you can get off. If you have the brake and neutral set before you start no love. To be honest, it is such a PITA I have disabled the seat switch.

It is too bad that the Safety features become almost counter productive. I don't know why JD doesn't allow you to get off the tractor while running while in gear. I can understand the PTO limitation, but quite frankly the neutral thing to me is less safe as I would much rather have both the brake and hydro resistance holding me back, not just the brake. (Like my previous Kubota would)

It reminds me of my Jeep Navigation that will not allow you to do anything while driving. The passenger seat has a pressure sensor for the Air Bag sensor, so why not allow you to use it of the front passenger seat is occupied? I understand not allowing the driver but the passenger can enter an address....