Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #31  

It's not too complicated, Richie, but it is very important to get it right. I've got OTR 12-16.5's on the front now. I don't recommend them because they're too wide. You have to put a shim on the turn stop up front to keep the wheels from rubbing slightly on the tie rods. In any case, you have to get the wheels from OTR, since they act as Titan's distributor for them (Titan is Kubota's official wheel supplier). I've got a contact at OTR I can give you info on if you email me. If you go with the 19.5LR24 XM27 Michelins, you can use the 11-16 XM27's on the front, but you can't use the stock 16.5 wheels. You have to get 16" diameter wheels instead. If you decide to go with 17.5LR24 XM27's on the back, which is what I'd recommend unless you're prepared to rework an implement connection here or there to get enough clearance, I'll have to check to see what would work on the front. I'll run the numbers and let you know in a bit. You definitely shouldn't run R1's on the front if you use R4's on the back, unless you make absolutely sure of the Rolling Circumferences.

Actually, as far as the traction demo goes, I mentioned the ultimate test I've done in one of my messages on the old board (in the Archives): If I put the Bradco 609 backhoe on the back, all 2,000 pounds of it including the bucket and thumb, and lift all the front loader bucket will hold, I can just barely spin the tires on a hard packed road when pushing against a tree with the engine at 2500 rpm. I figure the tractor weighs just over 11,000 pounds in this configuration. Like I told the guy, if I could get more power to the ground, what would I do with it? And how would I know I had it?

Mark

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #32  

RichH, sometimes I wish I had a little more implement flow (such as when I'm using the Bradco 609 backhoe and get in a hurry), which is a shortcoming the L4610 addresses, and sometimes I find the steering is pretty hard when I lift the maximum I can with the loader (but remember, I've got custom-made 2.5" lift cylinders on my loader, so my capacity is considerably greater than the standard L4310 loader), which is also a shortcoming the L4610 addresses. So, yes, as I said, if the L4610 had been available when I got the L4310, I'd have gotten the L4610 instead.

Mark

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310

just want to say thanks to everyone for all the GREAT info that you have provied it's been a great help!!!! IM going to have to go back to the dealers and test the trans. for a final time. Still think it will be the gst because of the brake thing, got to be able to make those tight turns in the woods!!
RICH

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #34  

The tires on my L3750 are Brigstone R-1s with a 50%-60% Propylene Glycol for ballast, in otherwords nothing fancy they are a basic 10 ply bias tire. On my L2350 I also have R-1s but they are made by Kelly 4 ply same percent of propylene Glycol and on the 8n they are Goodyears only difference is the ballast mix is about 80%.
The mud in this area is a sand clay slop mix and I need a good cleaning tire If it cakes up its useless. I also use chains alot while skidding for added traction at some sites. I try to stay out of the woods in these conditions for the compaction issue, but alot of landowners just want the work done reguardless of conditions so I do it.
That is the main reason I'm interested in the Michelins and at this point I'm gathering information, I will need to know clearances if there will be enough room for chains not only for skidding but every now and then we do get a good bit of snow in DE and when we do it's a gold mine (love that cab) so that is pretty much where I stand on the tires.

If I were you I would try the stock tires and see how they work for you, they might be just fine and it would take one thing out of the buying decision, but those radials do sound pretty darn good. Gordon

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #35  

Gordon, you were asking about some info on the 4700. This past fall I was in a dilemma between a 4310 HST and a 4700. I'm on 34 acres that needs lots of work. It was all basically wooded, we needed to turn it into pasture land for horses and cows, put up fencing, build barns, and tons and tons of grading. I loved the 4310's HST. My brother ended up buying a 3710 HST. A hydro can sing and dance. It can work circles around a geared tractor. It is 100 times easier to work with. So did I buy a 4310 HST? Nope. I bought a 5400.

I wanted to buy the 4310 because of ease of use. But when I looked at what I needed done, I knew I needed a bigger tractor. Plus, as you pointed out, the 4700 is the same price as the 4310 HST. The 4700 is a lot more tractor than the 4310 (sorry Mark) for the money. So after many hours on this board and a lots of questions later, I decided on a 4700.

As it turned out the dealer closest to me had a used 4700 with 16 hours on it. I love a good deal and thought a used 4700 that was discontinued should be discounted a good bit. He wasn't in a hurry to deal even though it was the end of the year. I found a used 5400 (64 hours) at another dealer (Goss Tractor in Jasper, GA) close by (we have about 5 Kubota dealers within 75 miles of us). So that is what I bought.

After a lot of use since December I can sing the praises of the M series...the 4700 and the 5400 are basically the same tractor. But, as I've said many times on this board, the second Kubota comes out with a M series hydro my 5400 will be sold and I'll buy the new M HST.

Yesterday I did some work for a neighbor. I moved a big pile of rock to a long bank and spread it out, dug up about 8 trees and replanted them in her son's yard, and brush cut a severely over grown pasture (about 2 acres) that was mainly hundreds small trees (2" to 4" at ground level). The 5400 never thought twice about the work. The 1001 loader is a good bit stronger than the 4310's. I also have a heavy duty tooth bar on the bucket....which I recommend strongly. I used a heavy duty Bush Hog (280 series) brush cutter...I don't think a 4310 can use it, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the Bush Hog chews up small trees like they weren't even there. I think having the exta hp turing the pto makes a big difference in the way the Bush Hog cuts.

Woops, my wife says it's time for a walk. Gordon, you have to decide how you will use your tractor. I knew I had a lot of heavy work to do so I went with the bigger tractor. But I HATE the gears. Pain in the butt! I get on my brother's hydro and can't believe how easy and quick it is. But I wouldn't trade for his tractor, it can't do what I need done. But as I said, when they come out with a 5400 HST, I'll be the first in line to buy!

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #36  

Bill-Thank you very much for the information on the 5400, two more questions comes to mind. The front tire size do you find the to make a big difference in handling and is there any clearance problems with the loader? Is there that much difference is speed between the hydro and glideshift in speed in normal use? My purchace of a new tractor is still a year off but I'm gathering information from the best sources---the end user---Thanks in advance for any help Gordon

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #37  

Gordo, as to your questions: On front tire size, I've found no handling problems. I have a 4x4 so the front tires are larger than those of a 2x2. When deciding, make sure to get a 4x4. Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've needed it. The 5400 will turn on a dime. One thing, the M series only came with R1 tires. If you are on grass and do a sharp turn the tires will chew up the turf. The new tractors (4900 and 5600) have an R4 option. I would get that option. As to loader clearance, I don't really understand the question. Please give me a little more info. As to speed between a glide shift and hydro. The new 4900 and 5600 has a glide shift (I think, or is it that it is now a fully sync transmission?). Anyway, yes there is a huge difference in speed. I don't mean straight ahead speed, I mean speed when you're doing loader work, or bush hogging around something and have to chage gears. Then the HST is much faster.

Good example, I bush hogged my front pasture yestday. I have a good many trees to go around, dips and humps, etc. With a geared tractor it is a pain in the ass! When cutting around trees I have to stop and back in to them so I can get as close a possible to the trucks. So as I back in I am in reverse 1 (the slowest hear), as I get close to the trunk I have to start riding the clutch (not good). When I get that patch of grass cut I have to go forward so I shift to low 3 (your left hand shifts from reverse to low forward, and your right shifts from 1st to 3rd gear, your left foot is on the clutch, and your right foot is on the brake). So forward you go...about 10 feet. Then you redo your angle into the trunk and shift into reverse 1. You do this over and over and over. When you come to a dip or a sharp rise in the pasture you have to slow up, that means changing gears to a lower gear.

I know the glide shift would be easier than this, but the hydro is 100 times easier than this. In fact, if Mark read the above passage he is smiling to himself and realizes that I'm some kind of idiot. Gordo, with the hydro there are no gears! When you want to back up, push the reverse pedal. When it is time to go forward, press the forward pedal, when you need to slow down, ease up on the pedal.

Like I said, I love a hydro and if it had been offered on the M series I would have bought it. Think hard as to what jobs you will have to do. What are they anyway? How much land, etc?

Hope this helps.

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #38  

Thanks alot for the info and I will make a post about what I plan to use it for under the thread M Series Kubota. Thanks again Gordon

Well the dealer took me over to one of his customers tonight and put me on a a L4610 with 3 hrs. on it. They found me a pile of dirt and i tryed out the loader, WOW!!! DID IT WORK WELL!! tractor had R4 tires and they were hyrodid@*%$# had water/clorid in them, and worked great in 2wd, full 72" bucket every time. Hyd. never stalled and it had GST trans. I can hop on and run this one with no trouble. HST has to many line's hanging under it. Gordon, have you ever had any trouble with stick's or brush doing any belly damage to line's or fllter's? And that do you use to skid with? cable winch?? The only draw back that I have sean so far is the hyd. filter is on the under side. He's going to see if he can find one forme now, said loader my take 2-5 week's bumer. rich

L4610 has it hands down.

Got rember this is from a guy who's had a 1910 ford with manule trans. for the last 7 yr. s l o w
rich