Re-locating hydraulic remotes

/ Re-locating hydraulic remotes #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
My old 1418's hydraulic remotes are on the bottom front of the tractor, centered between the lift arms. I've discovered it's a real pain to hook up the power auger, as it's hanging in the way. The stump grinder is a little easier, but still no piece of cake. Plus, I'm not real crazy about putting a part of my body underneath whatever attachment I've got hooked up.

I went to Carquest to get some new hoses made up for the auger head (one almost had a hole dry-rotted in it), and while I was there I gave them an order to make up two quick-connect extension hoses. What I intend to do is just connect these two extension hoses to the hydraulic remotes and leave them there (probably tie-wrap them to something on the top front of the machine). Rather than putting the little covers on them that won't stay on, I can simply plug them together when not in use. I should then be able to hook up hydraulic attachments without having to crawl under the attachment to reach the bottom front of the tractor. Should have a convenience benefit (easier to reach and connect) plus a safety benefit. Good idea? (I get those once in a while...<g>)

Dave

/ Re-locating hydraulic remotes #2  
Dave,

I have a similar situation that I have to find an answer to.
I also have an auger (just got it) and hooking up the hydraulics is a pain. The pto hydraulics are located between the lift arms and between the second and third cylindrical cross bars. Its a bit difficult to "plug in" the hoses because the cross bar is in the way. I can get the hose connected but it seems like a lot of unecessary strain in the hoses.

I'm thinking about doing something similar to you idea, but with a different approach. I may reconfigure the hose connections so that they face "up" and over the crossbar. This would probably solve my problem.

I have thought of doing what you suggest but am leary of having more potentially leaking fittings in the hydraulic circuit. I like your idea though because it would be a very effective quick fix to my problem.

tomt5

/ Re-locating hydraulic remotes #3  
Dave and Tom,
Here is a picture of my PT425's lift assembly and hydraulic connections. Its a pretty decent picture which shows the hydraulic hoses slipped through some pipes that are welded under the cross bar. There is a set screw at the front end of the pipes that tightens down onto the metal part of the hoseclamp just behind the quick connects. This holds them into place. In this configuration, it is very easy to access the quick connects.

Notice that the bigger hoses to the insides that have the blue dust caps are run through bigger pipes. These are for the main PTO for the mower, brush hog, etc...

The smaller hoses are for the auxilliery PTO and are to the outsides and are currently connected to the quick connect cylinder. These can be disconnected after locking an attachment on. Then you can use the aux PTO to run a power angle cylinder on a plow, or some other implement.

Attachments

• 54-154491-PT425ViewLiftArms.jpg
    54-154491-PT425ViewLiftArms.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 109
   / Re-locating hydraulic remotes
Man, got a quote from Carquest on making up the hoses with quick connects. (What a misnomer, btw. Quick connect my butt! How about "tool-less connect" or something, sometimes they ain't exactly quick!) Anyway, the quick connects only total up to $80! Ouch! I'm going to rethink this. Perhaps I can take the quick connects off the front, add hoses with standard fittings, then put the quick connects back on the hoses.

/ Re-locating hydraulic remotes #5  
MossRoad, Thanks for the pictures. I refer to your website often comparing your newer machine to mine which is about four years old. Power Trac should have a site as complete as yours.

Dave, You can save a ton of cash by purchasing "pre-made" hoses at any farm store. Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm, and Farm and Fleet all carry hoses. One other thing, one thing that can make it difficult to connect the hoses is left over pressure in the lines. You can release this excess pressure by pressing the tip of the hose you are connecting against the machine and releasing a small squirt of hydraulic fluid.
Under normal conditions a hydraulic hose should not be difficult to connect.

tomt

Well, one issue is that the quick connects are old, have a little corrosion, and probably some dirt and crud in the sleeve on the female ones. In particular, the sleeve on the female QC on the power auger is so stiff, I have to use both hands to pull the sleeve back (which doesn't leave a hand to push it onto the male QC!). One thing I need to do is replace this sticky QC, but I still want to bring the PTO connections up, if for nothing else than the safety factor.

Dave

Btw, is there anyway to clean/loosen/degunk up this quick connect? Is there anything I can soak it in that'll loosen her up? (I seriously doubt it, but it's worth asking...)

Dave