Reading list...

/ Reading list... #1  

AHNC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23
I've whiled away many an hr on this site and have learned a great deal. Again, thank you all! I am not going to buy immediately so will continue to research equipment, implements, uses, etc. I live in Eastern MA and don't think I've seen an agriculture magazine since I lived in Nebraska and that was long ago. What do you all read on the topic? What do you subscribe to? What do you recommend?

I'm looking in the SCUT to CUT catagory.

/ Reading list... #2  
Speaking only for myself, my BX23 is exactly what I've needed for my place...As far as reading material goes, TBN is it.

Don

/ Reading list... #3  
Less than 100hrs per year ? Handy with fixing it ? If so you can get a cheap(er) Chinese tractor for $5995 (22hp) or $6795 (25hp) . There's a guy on Craigslist in Pittsburgh that advertises them all the time for that. I have a FarmPro 2420 and while it was only $3995 in 2003 it works and is basically a big Sears garden tractor in disguise. Just remember if you go that route that it will have issues that you need to deal with. And you can't ignore the routine maint on them. Ever. They need that attention. It's a chinese built product that the quality is suspect but when used within it's limits they are fine for ordinary people.

Steve

/ Reading list... #4  
This site is by far and away the best source of information I've found, it's current and you can get specific questions / topics addressed.

Another good idea is to hang around the tractor dealerships.

This is my only source at the moment for tractor information.

Yesterday's tractor is another good one but deals monstly with older machines. I spent a lot of time there with my JD dozer.

Yesterday's Tractors - Discussion Forums

/ Reading list... #5  

I also live in Eastern MA. There are not a lot of tractor dealers here and therefore not the greatest deals. Consider expanding your search to NH or CT. Not much in RI.

There is also Craigslist if you are looking for used. I still look at those listings and see at least one Kubota SCUT/CUT listed almost all the time. Not so many other brands of newer tractors available that way (Craigslist) around here in my experience. You may also find that owners of 1-3 year old CUTs are rather unrealistic about pricing as they are not aware of the major discounts via free loader programs and cheap financing available from dealers.

There are also dealers in NY and PA who will deliver to MA so consider that option to get a better price especially if you don't need a dealer to help with demos and can do your own basic service.

/ Reading list... #6  
I've whiled away many an hr on this site and have learned a great deal. Again, thank you all! I am not going to buy immediately so will continue to research equipment, implements, uses, etc. I live in Eastern MA and don't think I've seen an agriculture magazine since I lived in Nebraska and that was long ago. What do you all read on the topic? What do you subscribe to? What do you recommend?

Places like Tractor Supply have books and magazines. You might find what you're looking for there.

If you're into restoring old tractors like myself, check out Antique Power, Tractor Shop, N-News.

You can find books on Amazon like Spencer Yost's "Small-Scale Haymaking" (lotsa info on equipment), Rick Kubik's "How to Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm".

/ Reading list... #7  

Welcome to TBN!

This site has great information.... You can also find great info. by searching for some older threads.

Since your not going to buy immediately and wanting to do research, and i think that's a great choice because you don't want to just jump into it quick, and then regret it later.

I think it would be good for you to buy Muhammad's book.....It has everything in it that your looking for...(and you can't beat the price)

That's what i recommend.

When you click on the link, scroll down and just look at what the book covers.

TractorByNet.com | Compact Tractor Buying & Basics

/ Reading list... #8  
"Compact Equipment" magazine. You can subscribe for free, and I think there is also a website.

/ Reading list... #9  
wow free? i will check it out, thanks
clear.gif

/ Reading list...
Gentlemen, I've ordered all three of the suggested books and look forward to reading them. Much obliged!

As I said, I'm still a ways away from buying but sure am enjoying the search...with all of your help!