Real-Time Chat

/ Real-Time Chat #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Since the topic is new, I'm starting a new thread for it...

In response to Cowboy's question, yes, a real-time chat is a possibility. As BobT mentioned, we did have a small chat going over the winter months in 1998. At that time, the site and user base was nowhere near the size it is now... we did not continue the chat when the Kubota Tractor Source opened.

I could take some suggestions on this as well as ideas. Specific times to have the chat, or a room open all the time? Moderated or open? Topic-based or free to drift? Guest users or just users? Rooms for different brands or one room covering everything?

My initial thoughts would be a set time for the chat, either daily or certain days in a week. User moderation to prevent abusive users corrupting the chat, but no content moderation. Topics would be the week's most popular threads, and whatever else came up, unless a special guest was present, in which case there would be a specific topic to talk about with that guest. And finally, one room for all, unless it got too large (25+ users at one time, which is a realistic number considering the average number of users online at one time here on the forum)

So, please post your feedback and ideas and I'll see about the technical issues involved. Any chat experts are welcome to give their ideas and suggestions. As BobT suggested, if anyone is interested in volunteering as a 'helper', please send me an e-mail or private message.

msig.gif

/ Real-Time Chat #2  
Muhammand your initial thoughts sound pretty good and might be worth a try---I'm game
I will leave it at that because I'm no darn expert thats for sure/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Real-Time Chat #3  
Muhammad
I feel the real-time chat would be a great addition. Seperate chat room's for several brands sounds good,and having them open 24-7 with Bot moderation, Hot topic's, and limited to users only ( or members ). I like the idea of getting on the spot response's and assistance on many of the issues found in the forum. I for one currently own an IRC chat room and a operator in another. If you use the Bot and, set it up according to what "Is and Isen't" allowed. it pretty well elimiantes the need for an on line op. but as you probably know, some of the Bots can be a major headache.

Which ever direction the majority goes. You have a good thing going.

Thanks for your response.

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz