Real world experience with dr rapid fire?

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #11  
And no, I don't work for DR. They're across the state from me.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #12  
Everyone has their own preferences, but for my own use this splitter has several drawbacks which would be fatal flaws for me.

In general I much prefer hydraulic splitters that have the splitting wedge attached to the cylinder, not the kind here that pushes the wood through the wedge. Too easy to get tough pieces caught up resulting in you having to try and knock if off the wedge. If the wedge is on the cylinder, simply retracting it pulls those stuck pieces loose. If you look around the 3:20 mark of this youtube video it shows exactly what I'm talking about (plus, he put that crotch piece in "backwards"). Hardly "pretty amazing".

Also, no vertical capabililty. Big issue here with some very large, knotty hard maple trees for example.

Finally, while it might not be a fair criticism given I've never operated one, but it just looks too flimsy for the kind of splitting I often do. Not to say it might be a pretty cool and effective maching for others and how they process their firewood. Looks like it would be easier to move around than my Husky too!

Anyone have any experience with a dr rapid fire splitter? My father in law and I are considering purchasing one but I'd really like some feedback from some folks who have some time on one.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #13  
Just got mine last week. Split wood on Sunday and have to say this is the most impressive piece of machinery I have purchased in quite a while. From the motor starting with one half pull to how quick it splits. Did have to hit a few pieces more than once but with three of us (2&1/2 including my 8 year old lugging logs and driving the loaded 4 wheeler) we could not keep up with the machine. Split and stacked 2 rows 16' long by 4' high in about 2.5 hours. Not sure how to calculate that into cords but i think you get the idea. Truly enjoyed the experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this product.