Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
All,

This is a safety question on whether my daughters car [2018 Jeep Wrangler] is safe to drive back to school.at noon today or not? The drive is 160 miles.

The check-engine light came on Saturday morning [2/10/24]. I was able to get the jeep into a shop to run the error codes. These are the error codes:
-P0507: Idle speed performance higher than expected
-P2173: High airflow/vacuum leak detected

She just got the jeep out of the dealer service department on Friday, 2/9/24 which they stated they had to fix the electronic throttle control.

Questions:

She has to go back to school today and the drive is 160 miles. Is it safe to drive that far? If not, what could be the issues?
Did the "repair" the dealer made have anything to possibly cause this error on their behalf in not properly fixing the jeep?

My wife and I are contemplating either driving her or driving behind her so if anything happens, we could be there. The outfit that ran the error codes yesterday stated that the 2 error codes would not inhibit her driving, but I just want to be really sure, for all the obvious reasons..she's 19 yrs old..

I would really appreciate your timely & candid feedback on this matter.

Thank you very much !!!

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #2  
Timely and candid - just drive the kid to school and deal with the car later.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #3  
I wouldn't be too concern, a quick search say it can damage the engines if it is really a leak but it is most likely a default sensor as if it would be a leak I would ASSUME the mechanic would've seen it yesterday. I would suggest you call the mechanic that checked it yesterday and ask them if they check if it was a leak or if they think it is a sensor issue. sensor issue = no issue to drive the vehicule... leak I would consider driving your daughter to not damage the vehicle engine. 9 time out of 10 its a sensor issue

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
Thank you both for your replies.

The shop that checked it just hooked it up to the computer and ran the codes. They did not do a physical inspection.

I am not a super mechanic, but w instruction, is there anything I can do to ascertain if it's a leak or not?

Thank you very much !!

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #5  
   / Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #6  
Maybe it would help if you could describe the problems that lead her to put the jeep in the shop to begin with?

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #7  
A vacuum leak, in itself, can cause high idle. Plug the hose back on and it would be good to go.

I'm not one to put kids into questionable vehicles but unless she's going to idle it 160 miles, a small vacuum leak isn't going to matter much but I'd still look for something the tech missed putting back.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #8  
Maybe it would help if you could describe the problems that lead her to put the jeep in the shop to begin with?
check engine light

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #9  
Perhaps they split a vacuum hose during the process of repairing the throttle or didn't even reconnect one of the hoses?