Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #61  
I think the final solution is to sell that plow to someone with a paved drive and parking lot and then buy one set up to float from a fixed attachment point as pickup and state plow trucks are. Even then the OP will need shoes for when the ground is wet and unfrozen.

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #62  
Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Have a 7' Diamond Hydraulic front-end blade quick-connected to my Kubota 7040 for plowing snow and two font-end hydraulic remotes. The blade is heavy - 900 lbs - and has two mushroom skids (maybe 6" diameter). I have read posts on here about how to use these things and have seen the recommendations to put the blade in "float". On my M7040, you set in float by pushing the joystick all the way forward and locked.

Tried that today and dug up about 3" of gravel. So, with a big snow coming overnight, I am resigned to using my old method - trying to keep the blade fixed a few inches above the gravel - someone called that the bulldozer method. That process isn't easy given that there is literally no 5' section of my 3/4 mile long driveway that is flat. I am constantly rasing/lowering the blade depending on whether I am going uphill or downhill.

Is there a chance that the "float" isn't working? That blade sure as **** did not float on top of the driveway (fairly well-packed crush and run). Can the downward pressure on float be adjusted?

I have alot of rock rake work to do this spring.

Bummed in Virgina

I had the same problem with my snow plow. I think most people on here think it is operator error. Since your plow is 900lbs you probably have over 1,500lbs riding on the skid shoes with the loader in float. The skid shoes are to have to be massive to keep it from digging in. Wheels would keep it from digging in but with the loader in float your are taking weight of the front axle of the tractor so the tractor is going to slide sideways and 4WD is not going to be effective. You really need a plow that floats at the quick attach like vtsnowedin has. I switched my hoses on my loader so the curl cylinders would do the floating. It kept the blade from digging in but I would not recommend switching the hoses. I'm not sure if you could damage something by using the plow like this. I thought about modifying they plow so it would float at the QA but I ended selling it. It would not be hard to modify. BTW our plow looks just like the Edge blade I had.