reapair manual Good? ford 1720

/ reapair manual Good? ford 1720 #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
   / reapair manual Good? ford 1720 #2  
I&T manuals have been printed by a few different publishers for over 50 years; that proves there is a market for this level of info. They do overstate their level of detail IMHO. They are OK if one is an experienced mechanic that has a basic understanding of how things work and how things are assembled. Factory manuals of any brand will always provide a higher level of detail than an I&T and a factory manual for a 1720 is no different. I&T books will SOMETIMES provide an alternative method of accomplishing a given task when a factory manual will direct you to some special tool you don't have access to. To me, that is about the only advantage. I don't consider lesser cost as an advantage because the product is lesser as well. Ford published three completely separate manuals totalling about 500+ pages to cover the models in the I&T you are looking at.

/ reapair manual Good? ford 1720 #3  
RickB said:
I&T manuals have been printed by a few different publishers for over 50 years; that proves there is a market for this level of info. They do overstate their level of detail IMHO. They are OK if one is an experienced mechanic that has a basic understanding of how things work and how things are assembled. Factory manuals of any brand will always provide a higher level of detail than an I&T and a factory manual for a 1720 is no different. I&T books will SOMETIMES provide an alternative method of accomplishing a given task when a factory manual will direct you to some special tool you don't have access to. To me, that is about the only advantage. I don't consider lesser cost as an advantage because the product is lesser as well. Ford published three completely separate manuals totalling about 500+ pages to cover the models in the I&T you are looking at.

My sentiments the same. IT manual certainly steer you in the right direction but are not complete or descriptive enough at times. A combination of IT manual and parts breakdown from NH has worked for me so far. I think I bought my FO-44 from TSC under $20. One thing I do not like about them is that they are not model specific and you'd have to weed out thru a lot of material... If you have the time it's a good read:rolleyes:

JC,