rear axle size

/ rear axle size #1  

onegreenday

Bronze Member
I looked at couple of MF's (1455v and the 461) and noticed quite a difference in the rear axle size. The 461 (made in Brazil) axle was massive (5,456 lb. tractor) and the 1455v (made in Japan) looked undersized (comparatively) for a 3,560 pound tractor. I'm not degrading the 1455v but it appeared to have a slight bow in the axle from the weight of the machine. Any 1455v owners care to comment on axle size.
The dealer will sell his 461 for the same price as the 1455v ($27K with a loader) because the 1455v has a flat deck and appeals to a broader market clientel. You get way more steel and structure with the 461 for the money; though not as sexy as the 1455v.

/ rear axle size #2  
I have the 451 the 400 series are utlity AG tractor's are more suited for farming situations. The 1455 is more of a compact more suited for landscaping or smaller land owners. Both would do either job but are more suited for the things I stated above.

/ rear axle size #3  
I don't know to much about the 400 series but I have been very happy with my 1455v. 27k sound kind of high to me for a 1455v. I got mine with the loader and a set of pallet fork for a little over 22k. Thats with R4 tires and loaded rear tires. I have had it for a year and a half so I'm sure there has been a price increase, but 5k sounds like a lot. Just my opinion.

/ rear axle size #4  
Another thing you may want to think about. The 461 is an actual Massey Ferguson and it has a Perkins diesel, the 1455 is an Iseki tractor with MF nameplates, stickers, and engine. The perkins in my mind would be the superior engine but woth are good engines. I've looked at both and both are fine machines, just depends on what you want to do with it. Like stated above the 461 will be more suited for ag applications and the 1455 will be more suited for heavy duty landscaping, construction or smaller acreage applications.

/ rear axle size #5  
Hi,

My opinions are the same as stated above. Does the MF 461 have a hydraulic combing valve? My 2 cents...............I would buy the 461 most bang for buck, but it depends on your needs and usage!!

Take care

Will

/ rear axle size
I asked the dealer about the combining valve and we went to look at the MF461 under the tractor seat where he said they usually are and there was no lever there. He was not sure about the combining valve and if it was in some other location. I think the MF461 is a NEW tractor in the 400series.
Could the combining valve be "automatic" since he couldn't find the valve? Thanks. The tractor looks "rock" solid but it is a "turbo" engine which does add xtra equipment that might need future service. Improves torque they say.

/ rear axle size #7  
Some of the 400 series have the combing valve and some dont It must be an option. My Dealer tells me that the 461 is the former 263. All 400 series are sold standard with dual hyd remotes.
On the funny side a few farmers I know with tractors with the combining valve said that the loaders work too darn fast for them for them too use for farm work, havent used one my self so I cant say.

/ rear axle size
I did a search in the forum archives; hardly any threads discussing a tractor hydraulic "combining valve". It seems like a valuable feature to have on a tractor. How many tractors offer the combining valve?

/ rear axle size #9  
The MF 400s are the approximate hp replacement for the 263, but they are quite a bit different. The 400s are a tall tractor with more ground clearance. The MF263 is shorter to the ground, making it a ideally rough terrain tractor for brush hogging.

/ rear axle size #10  
I've been wanting to look at the 461 myself. The Massey Ferguson web site has a new broshure for the 400 series tractors. Massey ferguson also states that they designed the 461 with landscapers and site preparation professionals in mind. I like the turn radius, size and power as listed on the web site. Your price quote is the first I have heard. I have seen the 1455. I didn't think it would cost as much as a 461. I was surprised to see the price was 27K. I feel that might be a little high.