Snow Attachments rear blade questions (for snow removal)

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #11  
I used an off-brand back blade for many years removing snow, never hurt my asphalt driveway. Just be forewarned, if you hit an immovable object, you very likely will do damage to the tractor or blade. If snow work will be it's main focus, suggest you find a good used one, or a cheap one. If it gets all bet up (and trust me, it will), you wont be out a lot when you resell it. Depending on the amount of snow fall you get, a front blade (FEL or frame mount) is the better way to go. I've never used a box blade for snow, so cant comment on that, other than you'll have a lot more weight on it than a regular blade, possibly damaging your asphalt. Also, you wont be able to angle the box blade to push snow off the drive.

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #12  
I have a Woods RB72 on A Kubota L3000DT that I use form snow removal. Being in New Hampshire we can get over a foot of snow in one storm. I have a dirt driveway and road that I plow. Before the ground freezes I try to use the rear blade backwards so it does not dig into the ground. You can also change the angle of attack with the top link to keep the blade from digging in.

Some people put a thick piece of rubber on for a "cutting edge" to keep paved driveways from being scraped by the metal cutting edge. A horse stall mat cut up works well for this.

Just remember to push the banks back to begin with. You can also use the FEL to push back the snow banks. The down side of a rear balde plowing snow is you can not get going fast enough for it to wing the snow like a plow on a truck. But with a little experimenting you can get the job done.

Randy

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #13  
Prior to this year I have used a back blade for plowing my drive way, about 150'. The back blade worked fine. I have left the blade the entire way down to the driveway with no problems. Someone else stated that if the driveway is smooth, there won't be any problems, and I also found that to be true. I used it both to push and pull snow. Both worked. I usually pushed it (running backwards) when there was 8 inches or more.

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #14  
I have a Kubota L4310 with loaded rears. The dealer supplied a Tufline 7' rear blade. Probably heavier than the 2 models you're looking at. He had cutomer problems w/ Landpride and didn't carry due to several "crimping".

It works well up to a ~6" snow depth; deeper than that, I take a partial pass. Others have said if it didn't work well, move up to a front blower (rear blower is awkward).

Our drive is ~ 700 LF with a 150' circle. The drive has crushed gravel that freezes hard. We put crushed stone near the house to avoid tracking in the sand, but the stone moves when bladed - i.e. have to use care.

I've seen a local contractor use a front blower and rear sand spreader - covers all the bases- not cheap though.

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #15  
We get a lot of snow here where I live. I have a 6 foot KingKutter 14" high rear blade from TSC that only cost $275.

I recently reversed the front tires and bought tire chains for the front R4's. I now have v-bar chains on the front and back tires. With the rear blade down and FEL bucket down my B7800 has turned into a tank for moving snow. I found without traction it took too long to push the snow.

It works so well I can forego buying a snowblower...for now at least

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #16  
Youare said:
I have a Woods RB72 on A Kubota L3000DT that I use form snow removal. Being in New Hampshire we can get over a foot of snow in one storm. I have a dirt driveway and road that I plow. Before the ground freezes I try to use the rear blade backwards so it does not dig into the ground.

Randy

That's what I do, I added a significant amount of weight to help stop the plow from riding up over the snow when back blading.

Attachments

• P1068271.JPG
    P1068271.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 439
   / rear blade questions (for snow removal) #17  
Sorry for the huge picture, here are a couple more a little smaller. this is a model 45 (72") I put the trailer jack on as a a stand.

Attachments

• DSCN0371 (1136 x 852).jpg
    DSCN0371 (1136 x 852).jpg
    218 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCN0374 (1136 x 852).jpg
    DSCN0374 (1136 x 852).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 409
   / rear blade questions (for snow removal) #18  
I tried using the FEL and 5' box blade for snow removal the first winter I had the tractor and it did not work for me. I went back to the the 4-wheeler and a 4' plow blade that winter.
I now use a 6' TSC KK grader blade on the TC-30 for snow plowing and it works well. I still use the loader bucket to move the pile when I can't push it anymore.
We have about a 175' drive that is gravel except for the 40' of concrete in front of the garage.

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #19  
Peter,

I too have a B7610 and just recently purcvhased a rear blade primarily for snow removal. I have used it now just 2 times but it works great. I bought a King kutter from a local Farm N Fleet. It is a lighter model (5 ft that weighs in at around 200lb.) Like you I will use it mainly for snow removal. In where I live that's 2"-8" on avaerage. I use my FEL on my gravel drive but I also do several neighbors drives that are blacktop. That's where the rear blade really shines. I can do their drives about 50% faster with the rear blade. If you're not going to be using a rear blade for haevier work get the lighter model and you'll be fine with it.

Hagman

/ rear blade questions (for snow removal) #20  
I was cleaning my drive with just the loader until about 2 years ago. I bought a light duty rear blade and it works great. I go in one direction with the loader and then just back up using the rear blade at an angle. Works great and is quick. If we get a lot of snow, I may have to do more loader work to make room for the rear blade to push stuff off the driveway, but it is not a big deal.

It would be nice to have a regular plow as some have suggested but the rear blade is a cheap and functional option. No driveway damage at all for me - one advantage of a light blade.