rear discharge MMM

/ rear discharge MMM #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am considering a tc33d. I would like to use a subframe mounted BH. How hard is it to remove the subframe? I would also like to use a MMM. The times I would use the BH would be for specific projects. Is it practical to remove the subframe so a mmm can be used?( I am assuming you need to remove the subframe to use a mmm.) Or is it a pain to remove.? Is there a mmm with rear discharge for this tractor? Just trying to figure out all the little details to make the right choice. I really appreciate the wealth of information provided by this net. Thanks.

/ rear discharge MMM #2  
The subframe on Woods (others should be like it) hoes are attached to hoe and come off w/ hoe.
The Woods has a mount that bolted to rear loader brackets that a long pin went thru for front mount on hoe subframe.
I don't know about MMM compatability.

/ rear discharge MMM
So whe I remove the BH there is nothing left under the tractor? I had the impression there was some type of attachment point for the bh which would interfer with the mmm. I thought I would need to remove this to use the mmm. But your saying when I remove the bh there would be nothing left under the tractor if I am understanding right. Thanks for the help on this.

/ rear discharge MMM #4  
Mike,

I actually asked for a rear discharge MMM on my TC29D. New Holland does make one but me dealer talked me out of it. He told me if I am very diligent about mowing the rear discharge is ok, actually does a better job of mowing but is proned to plug up all the time. But if you mow before the grass is allowed to get more than an 1" taller than mowing you would be ok. You can't use it for rough mowing.

murph

/ rear discharge MMM
When you mow with the side discharge do you get row piles of clippings? That is what I am trying to avoid if possible. I may go to a rfm but prefer a mmm. I use a Locke reel mower now and like the way it disperses the clippings so I dont have to deal with them. I also have a 20hp garden tractor that leaves clipping piles when I mow. With the new tractor I want to set it up so the clippings are dispersed and disappear into the lawn.

/ rear discharge MMM #6  
You will get more "windrowing" with a rear discharge mmm than a side discharge. The rear discharge are rare and usually only purchased by those working around traffic (highway use) where they have to worry about discharge direction, and not clumping or windrowing..

Some brands of side-discharge mower decks clump badly but I have never had problems with my Deere decks on the 200 and 400 series tractors (47", 54" and 60" decks) over the years. I think it is mainly deck design and how well the decks can be kept free of built-up grass "sludge" that gets dry and hard.

/ rear discharge MMM #7  
I have the 60" rear discharge MMM. Can't tell you about compatability with a backhoe. Can say that I've never clogged it. I do keep up with the lawn and cut following the "1/3 rule" Ie cut 1/3 at most off at one time. I did use it to slice up the leaves a bit in the fall. It didn't plug up then either.

It does a magnificant job of dispersing the clippings. Keep in mind it is not a "mulching" mower. The rear of the deck is about an 1" higher than the sides & front. It doesn't attempt to shred the grass into tiny little pieces.

When I ordered my tractor, it took a while for the MMM to come in. The dealer loaned me a landpride RFM while I waited. It was also rear discharge. I did use that in high grass as I had already sold my garden tractor three weeks prior. It didn't clog either.

Edit Here.

Mike, Where in NH are you? I'm in North Eastern Mass. (near Haverhill, MA 20 minutes from Salem, NH) Don't know what your timeline is, but you're welcome to stop by for a test drive once the grass starts growing.

/ rear discharge MMM
Stephen
Thanks for the information. I am considering the Landpride rear discharge vs mmm rear discharge. What differences did you find between the two? Quality of cut? Can you get to areas better with one than the other. Any comments you have on these mowers would be helpful. It is great to find someone who has used both! I am in Bedford. Trying to decide on the right machine and attachments is a full time job!

/ rear discharge MMM #9  
It is a full time job! Unfortunatley most wives don't appreciate how much we agonize over every attachment. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As far as Landpride RFM vs. New Holland MMM. The landpride had a slightly better cut. I believe it had a higher tip speed & the aerodynamics of the deck were better. The New Holland has to fit under the tractor, so the designers are constricted as to shape of the deck. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use the MMM professionally. It is a commerical quality deck, in both it's manufacturing quality & cut quality.

As far as manuvering. The MMM wins hands down. The only advantage the RFM has is you can back under low tree branches. I either trim the brances up or mulch around the tree to avoid this problem. The RFM added 50% to the overall length of my TC18. When you turn left the mower swings right & vice versa. With the RFM in close quarters you are looking backwards all the time (stiff neck). I have lots of trees & other obstacles & the MMM makes mowing a pleasureable experience.

The RFM takes about 5 minutes to remove vs. the MMM 10-15 off, 15-20 on. It takes a little practice to get the techinique down. So if you envision heavy dirt work and are going to want the mower off often, that's a consideration. Also the RFM costs about $1,000 less than the MMM. ($2500 vs $1500). If you've got a wide open field, I'd say go with the RFM, if you've got lots of obstacles, go with the MMM.

You are only 40 miles from me. If you want to check it out, let me know.

/ rear discharge MMM
I have a 33 with 72 mmm never seen any windrowing... it is very nice that you can approach near you house or whatever from any direction.. make lawn cutting fast as you don't have to worry which way the grass throws. I have also used the rear mount finish mower... .. will never buy another... ONLY say that because I have so many trees to go around and under... I remember my neck staying in a constant kink after using is around so many obstacles...