Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap
Curious, a valve that don't return isn't that common, did you convert it to a 'non return to center' setup or did you order it that way ?

Kioti makes two styles apparently. The one that comes standard has a return spring but even that can be locked on in A or B. The extra remote (which is the one I am talking about) is like on the CK tractors where there is no return spring. A OFF B are the selector indents. It is not hard to forget to return it to off position after demounting the backhoe. I've left it on for a few minutes before realizing it and know that if that goes on for longer it can damage the pump. There are occasional posts on TBN about people who have done that and had expensive pump repair/replacement bills.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #12  
The valve should have a relief valve anyway, because the relief is designed to protect the cylinders, and if you try and activate a valve with QD's, not connected to anything, the reliefs will go into relieve mode. Most valve have reliefs, to protect anything attached to the work ports.

The valve should have a relief valve anyway, because the relief is designed to protect the cylinders, and if you try and activate a valve with QD's, not connected to anything, the reliefs will go into relieve mode. Most valve have reliefs, to protect anything attached to the work ports.

There was a specific warning from Kioti about leaving the valve in a deadhead position however and at least one guy has reported damaging his pump this way. As I understand it the issue is not pressure (as would be relieved by a valve) but rather heat. I don't pretend to understand exactly what is going on though. I just thought it was going to be cheap insurance. Not so cheap in the end.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #14  
What is causing the heat is the relief valve working full time when the lever is flipped on, and the circuit is dead-headed. A hyd pressure switch and a warning light would help prevent this situation.

What is causing the heat is the relief valve working full time when the lever is flipped on, and the circuit is dead-headed. A hyd pressure switch and a warning light would help prevent this situation.

I presume however that a simple return flow line like I should have constructed ($25) would be cheaper than a hydraulic pressure switch and warning light installation.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #16  
I presume however that a simple return flow line like I should have constructed ($25) would be cheaper than a hydraulic pressure switch and warning light installation.

As I see the set-up now, this new hose is really an optional way to return the fluid to the tank if you have the levers activated by mistake. . Although if this hose is smaller, this will restrict the fluid more than letting it run through the valve in and out ports and back to the reservoir. If the hose going back to the rear valve is the same size as the one you made, then there will be no difference. Seems like you would have heard the relief valve squealing, and if you ever did deadhead a hydraulic line, you would know it in an instance. .

Seems like you would have heard the relief valve squealing, and if you ever did deadhead a hydraulic line, you would know it in an instance. .

I know well the sound of a relief valve but that does not occur when you deadhead the remote. The only way to tell is by looking at the remote lever. It may make some noise when engaged but it is very hard to hear over the engine sounds.

Yes, I used smaller lines but they should be fine. My grapple and 4n1 both use 3/8 inch line too which is what I used for the loop. It is enough to dissipate heat which is what damages the pump.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #18  
Island Tractor
I assume that the size of the hydraulic fittings is the same on all Kioti's? It wouldn't be different for a 20 hp and 40 hp? Looks like neat and cheap insurance for when some clown borrows the tractor and plays with all the levers---- more likely one of my kids.

Island Tractor
I assume that the size of the hydraulic fittings is the same on all Kioti's? It wouldn't be different for a 20 hp and 40 hp? Looks like neat and cheap insurance for when some clown borrows the tractor and plays with all the levers---- more likely one of my kids.

I don't think that will be an issue. The BH fittings seem to be half inch but for something like a thumb even quarter inch should provide plenty of flow.

/ Rear hydraulic remote deadhead safety...cheap and not so cheap #20  
Thanks Island Tractor. I checked the parts online and after shipping you are into $35-36 so I do not think you got ripped off at $70. 2 X parts for manufactured price is not so bad.