Rear snowblowers

/ Rear snowblowers #21  
i bought 20mil plastic sheeting and use zip ties to my rops

/ Rear snowblowers #22  
StrangeRanger said:
Hi All,

Another northerner here, northern VT. I too have been looking into a rmsb and like the Pronovost Puma.

I have a question about chute control for ya'll though. If you get a hydro control, where do you tap in for it? I've got a basic L3400 w/ FEL and some 3pth items, but nothing that requires a hyrdo hook up out back. Would I need to get another remote valve?

I've got a 2,200' gravel monster for a driveway and for the past 2 yrs I've used the FEL and back blade to clear it. And I've had enough, I'm gonna pony up for a rmsb.

Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks,
j

2200' is a lot of driveway with a backblade and FEL. It must take you forever, I can see why you're thinking snowblower. In order to go hydraulic rotation and/or chute deflector, you'll need to run hydraulic remotes to the rear of your tractor. Basically, you need to tap the hydraulics, buy and mount a control valve and then connect the snowblower hydraulics to that. The nice thing is that once you've run the remotes, it's easy to do top and tilt on your three point hitch, which is a great feature. If you do run the remotes and purchase a valve, I would highly recommend going with at least 2 spools, maybe three. The cost increase is small, and it gives you so many more options. I have three on mine. I run top and tilt in the summer, in winter, I keep the hydraulic top link and run hydraulic rotation and hydraulic chute deflection. It's a nice set up.

/ Rear snowblowers #23  
Kubota front mount blowers are good blowers, some of the best I've seen as far as distance and volume.

Dean does a great tour! I doubt you could find a place that he doesn't know on the lake and the meal is great!

/ Rear snowblowers #24  
8561 said:
2200' is a lot of driveway with a backblade and FEL. It must take you forever, I can see why you're thinking snowblower. In order to go hydraulic rotation and/or chute deflector, you'll need to run hydraulic remotes to the rear of your tractor. Basically, you need to tap the hydraulics, buy and mount a control valve and then connect the snowblower hydraulics to that. The nice thing is that once you've run the remotes, it's easy to do top and tilt on your three point hitch, which is a great feature. If you do run the remotes and purchase a valve, I would highly recommend going with at least 2 spools, maybe three. The cost increase is small, and it gives you so many more options. I have three on mine. I run top and tilt in the summer, in winter, I keep the hydraulic top link and run hydraulic rotation and hydraulic chute deflection. It's a nice set up.

Funny thing is, that is how I found out the hour meter on the tractor is not real time. My first winter w/ it I was doing the drive way and according to the engine-o-meter I had been playing, uhh, working on the driveway for like 3 hrs. But when I came back in the house, my wife was going nuts, she's like WTF have you been doing for 6hrs!! out there?!?

And yes, a TNT is a dream my budget can't quite afford at this point. I've read a LOT of posts on here, but I'm still a hydro newbie and not making much head way. Can someone point me to a tractor hyrdo guide for dummies?
Is a spool the same as a valve?

You mentioned exactly what I want though. TNT for the box blade in the summer and then for the blower in the winter. 2,200' of driveway is a lot of off and on the tractor for box blade adjustments :)
j

/ Rear snowblowers #25  
Spools are part of a valve. You buy a valve body with a certain number of spools. Each pair of outlets makes a spool. Think of it as each spool has its own handle to control it. As far as a guide for dummies, if there is one, I'm not aware of it. Your best be is to spend time hanging out in the hydraulics forum and read as much as you can. Unfortunately, the great MadReferee passed away this spring. He was kind of our resident tractor hydraulics expert and helped me a great deal with my project. If you do a search and start reading his posts, he explained the process for Kubotas numerous times. Once you get up to speed a little, post some threads asking some questions and you'll be ready to do your own.

/ Rear snowblowers #26  
StrangeRanger how long did it take you to clear the driveway back in Feb? Here in the hills of Cambridge we got almost 4 feet. I have a nice picture of the wifes blazer with the snow level above the sideview mirros. I can't imagine clearing 2200 feet with a BB and FEL. I had all I could do using my 2 1/2 ton dumptruck. It's the main reason why I've bumped up my plans to get a Kubota with a fmsb. I have way too many twists and turns to use a rear mount.

/ Rear snowblowers #27  
8561 said:
Wayne - where do you plug in the helmet?

I installed an outlet on the dash to plug it into. Works fine.

/ Rear snowblowers #28  
crazyal said:
StrangeRanger how long did it take you to clear the driveway back in Feb? Here in the hills of Cambridge we got almost 4 feet. I have a nice picture of the wifes blazer with the snow level above the sideview mirros. I can't imagine clearing 2200 feet with a BB and FEL. I had all I could do using my 2 1/2 ton dumptruck. It's the main reason why I've bumped up my plans to get a Kubota with a fmsb. I have way too many twists and turns to use a rear mount.

I hear you man. That Valentine's Day storm was a monster. I opened the garage door, the snow was piled about 1.5' taller than my L3400 and I simply said "Oh, ****", started the tractor, pulled my zipper up a little higher and started tunneling.
All in all, that little 3400 did ok. Tire chains would have been much welcomed on the steeps of the drive, but it was OK.
But for that storm I called in re-enforcements. While I was doing what I could, my neighbor came over with his giant, old MF and HUGE *** FEL and helped tremendously. It still took about a day and a half to make the drive passable, but it couldn't have been down w/ a truck. My bud came over w/ his F350 plow truck w/ a 2,000 bale in the back of it for traction and couldn't do squat. That was definitely a tractor / bucket loader type storm. Spent the following days helping neighbors dig out and dragging stuck plow trucks out :)
I considered the FMSB but A.) cha-ching!$!$!$! and B.)I wanna keep the FEL on. I feel "nekid" w/out it :) My drive is reasonably straight, if long, but I figure ****, it won't take me a fraction of the time to clear it w/ a blower so my neck will certainly be a lot better off than it has been :)
j

/ Rear snowblowers #29  
I was able to do all the plowing with my truck during that storm (and all winter) but it was a challenge. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of my fugly truck. It weighs over 12,000lbs empty, 4wd, and I have chains for all four tires. I always plow downhill. I've thought about using my BH but that weights 14,000lbs. But without chains I don't dare go down any hills, even with chains I worry that if the snow packs up under the tires it could still slide.