rear wheel bolts

/ rear wheel bolts #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif, but I have a question about the bolts that secure the rear wheels to the axle. On my 1401d, there are supposed to be 2 of these bolts on each wheel, but mine came with only one--should I be concerned? Is this dangerous? Can someone supply me with these bolts?
thanks again!

/ rear wheel bolts #2  
Tony,
My YM 155D has 2 bolts(with springs) that snug down
on the flat part of the axle but it also has a pin that goes through the wheel and axle.If your's is the same I don't think
the wheels would fall off,but I could see where there
could be some unwanted play if the bolts were missing
or not tightened properly.I have been able to find bolts
at my local auto parts store.
Hope I helped

Fuz1

/ rear wheel bolts #3  
If there is a retaining pin as on the 155 mentioned by the previous poster and my 186, I would say that it wouldn't be dangerous but possibly damaging. The Kubota B7100 at my employer had a clamp type arrangement on the axle that had been allowed to run loose. It got so bad that it would actually break the retaining pins that held the hub to the axle and couldn't be tightened up but the wheel never came off the tractor. Two new $125 hubs later, It's as good as new. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Ouch!

/ rear wheel bolts #4  
I would think a trip to your hardware store , using one of your old ones as a pattern would yield you a couple of bolts to replace the old ones with. Be sure and taper the ends so the threads don't get mashed and make them hard to remove. The manual for theYM 165 / YM1401 says there is a pattern to tightening the two bolts. There must be a reason for two.

/ rear wheel bolts #5  
The responses you have gotten are really good. If you go the store to buy bolts, try to duplicate what belongs on you're particular model. Also buy a nut that fits the bolt, thread it onto the bolts before tapering the end of the bolt. Then when you're finished with the tapering, taking off the nut will straighten out the first couple of threads "ensuring" that it will thread into the hub without any problems.
The bolts on my 155d have both a sequense as well as a torque spec. I don't know what your spec's are, but I bet someone out here does and could fill in that info for you.
P.S. My manual also states that the Hub and Lugnuts are supposed to be checked for tightness. Lugnuts at 10hr / daily intervals. In real life it doesn't happen, at least it sould be done at the 100hr service's.
It's the little things that if left undone, or too many this will do for now repairs that will cause your equipment to let you down. The fact that you noticed the missing bolts shows that you are in the top 10 percent! Lloyd

/ rear wheel bolts
Thanks, Lloyd--and everyone else! I checked my owners manual--or service manual(can't recall which) and there is a tightening sequence and torque listed for the YM169(closest to the 1401). Does anyone know--or can speculate--on how important it is that I have the spring on the new bolt? I'm assuming it has a purpose, but there I go assuming again./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif If there is a dealer that can supply me with the correct bolt and spring--or even just the spring(I can find a bolt), please let me know.
thanks again for everyone's help!
boy, I've had this tractor for nearly a year now--hope driving about without the second bolt hasn't caused any problem!!!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ rear wheel bolts #7  
Without first seeing it, I'm going to ASSUME that the spring is being used as a shake proof washer to keep the bolts from backing out. I had the same problem with my ym2000b. The rear wheel bolts all backed out within a matter of hours. I was down to the last one when I noticed it. I corrected the problem by drilling the heads of the bolts, and safety wiring them together. This is something I would recommend on ALL critical bolts. If you do a google search on safety wiring, you'll get a good understanding of it.

/ rear wheel bolts #8  
I just did a quick search and found this page. This guy has a very good tutorial on the proper safety wiring techniques. The only thing I would say, is don't worry about having safety wire pliers. I worked in aviation for 3 years before I bought mine. I have since become lazy and hate to safety without them, but they are not a necessity. http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

/ rear wheel bolts
thanks, EM

i'll check out the site you posted.

/ rear wheel bolts #10  
Anything that comes loose once should be safety wired if it is important or you just don't want to lose it. As always, a little prevention goes a long way in preventing problems.