Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project

/ Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project
Primed both sides today. Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer is great stuff and I thin it maybe 30% with acetone. Dries quick and after an hour at 79 (!) degrees here I flipped and did the other side. It doesn't have to be a 100% pefect prime since the paint will cover. Notice the wheel photo that shows I missed a spot. Heck, it was windy but it will be OK.
Rain tomorrow so paint half maybe Sat and other half next day. Really rewarding and easy project.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 184
   / Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project #22  
Looking good! :thumbsup:

Painted the flip side today.
Rain maybe tomorrow but paint right side up on Monday.
Night and day different from the junk I started with.
So easy and anyone can do this.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 264
Getting close. Need to finish assy and touch-up spray paint.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 220
Finiti---all done. Remember, I have the wrong tires and wheels on since I wasn't sure of the tire size. The correct wheels will be white and tires bigger. Wings don't go on till I see how it pulls with the L4300Kubota. Hard to believe how it looked when I started.

Looking back, it was easy except for a couple of uh-oh moments and momentary second thoughts but that happens in anything. Bottom line, I saved this harrogator from the grim reaper and now have a fine piece of equipment others will say I am "lucky" to own. Got some great isometric exercise too and I guess that can't hurt.

PS--forgot the decals but will do in a few days when paint fully dry.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
   / Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project #26  
Very nice job! :thumbsup:

/ Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project #27  
That is excellent! Thanks for posting pics and all!
You said that the wheels will be white? Is that the original factory color? If not, personally I think the wheels would look better matching the color of the decals...which look to be red.
What is the main benefit of a harrow such as this?
Thanks again
Randy

That is excellent! Thanks for posting pics and all!
You said that the wheels will be white? Is that the original factory color? If not, personally I think the wheels would look better matching the color of the decals...which look to be red.
What is the main benefit of a harrow such as this?
Thanks again
Randy

Good eye. The decals I got are all that is available from the company and the white with green edging of the 1980's is no more. I can't even find one to dublicate Yes, the wheels are supposed to be white---IH White in fact.
This type of harrow was used before no-till took off. After light chisel plowing in the spring, this was either pulled behind the chisel or used in a separate pass on it's own to smooth things out prior to planting. No-till made these steps obsolete since herbicide saves all these trips--and fuel--through the field.
Today they still get used by some farmers for smoothing pre-plant or for grasses and such. My use is as a leveling tool and light tillage tool for construction use in geeting lawns ready for seeding with a Brillion seeder. You need a good soft seedbed and this tool gives it.

Last edited:
   / Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project #29  
What a great project. Looks awesome!:licking:
Want to sell it?:drool:

/ Rebuilding harragator "spike harrow" project #30  
Why couldn't you buy the better paint? No local paint & body supply stores? I've bought several times online. No problems.

The effort to paint is the same with high quality materials as with low...