Receivers on welding tables

/ Receivers on welding tables #11  
Next question - I can find weldable receivers at northern easily enough, but what about "stinger stock"? Just 2" Sq stock steel? Or 2" Sq tube with heavy wall (looks like 1/4" wall is about the heaviest you will normally find in 2x2)
Etrailer sells hitch fabrication parts but the tubing's kind of expensive because the holes are drilled and the collars are welded on.

/ Receivers on welding tables #12  
Etrailer sells hitch fabrication parts but the tubing's kind of expensive because the holes are drilled and the collars are welded on.

And the best part, the weld bead inside the tube has been ground off (or they are welded differently than regular HREW) so you don't have that stopping the stinger. Harbor Fright has cheap receivers but you better have a long carbide bit to do some inner grinding. I figured this out after I stuck one to my welding table.

/ Receivers on welding tables #13  
The 2.530" tubing is specially made for smooth inside also; it might not be too bad to pay $30 for a foot of it if you're only doing one or two, but in my case it made more sense to just buy a 20' stick - for one thing, my mag drill makes quick work of the pin holes, I've never needed the collar on the .250" wall tube, and my price by the 20' stick is $6.80 per foot.

That let me have TWENTY 12" long pieces (even more if they're SHORTER) for less than FIVE of the Etrailer ready-mades...

Guess it depends on how crazy yer gonna get with it - pretty obvious what MY answer is, huh? :D...Steve

/ Receivers on welding tables #14  
The 2.530" tubing is specially made for smooth inside also; it might not be too bad to pay $30 for a foot of it if you're only doing one or two, but in my case it made more sense to just buy a 20' stick - for one thing, my mag drill makes quick work of the pin holes, I've never needed the collar on the .250" wall tube, and my price by the 20' stick is $6.80 per foot.

That let me have TWENTY 12" long pieces (even more if they're SHORTER) for less than FIVE of the Etrailer ready-mades...

Guess it depends on how crazy yer gonna get with it - pretty obvious what MY answer is, huh? :D...Steve
This is good to know. I've built a couple of grapples with adjustable mounting tubes and this would work much better. Less slop in the tubes.

/ Receivers on welding tables #15  
Albany Or Bukit case.... your half inch trim job is cool. thx.

/ Receivers on welding tables
Good stuff here. Thanks guys. I have seen something similar to the trimmed receiver trick before. We had a bike rack from Reese that was set up with the end of the stinger trimmed back (kind of the exact opposite) that way, and it did help lining up that heavy beast. Probably a wise move for the vise as it will weigh a bit... I don't need a full stick of receiver stock, so will just grab the premade receivers from Northern as I have used them before successfully and I only need a few. And it looks like normal 2x2x1/4" for the insert mounts. Good to go.