Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135)

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #11  
I've got a 135, awesome little tractor, my opinion one of the best if its got a 2 stage clutch. Mine is a diesel, but the gassers are real good too. I plow and harrow with ease, run a 5' bushog, small rototiller, chipper, really about anything you would want to do. I have a Norse winch, hauls wood pretty decent. I agree you wont be pulling any big stumps with it. New enough design wise to be modern, but still old enough to be simple and cheap to work on. I have had no problems getting parts, but it has been very reliable so I haven't had to get much. Mine has a homemade roll bar and canopy, nice because we do hay and 8 to 12 hrs. setting in the sun is hard on a body. Mine has the lights in the fenders and I think they are adequate, but I don't do much after dark if I can help it.

Any specific questions I would be happy to answer.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #12  
My dad has a gas one, with 4600 hrs on it. Now uses oil but still going strong. A good worker.

Why clear the land? Just fence it in and let the cattle clear the under brush. The cattle will love the shade of the trees.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #13  
My dad has a gas one, with 4600 hrs on it. Now uses oil but still going strong. A good worker.

Why clear the land? Just fence it in and let the cattle clear the under brush. The cattle will love the shade of the trees.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #14  
There will be days when yours does more than you thought it could and days when it doesn't do as much as you wish it could.

I think all tractors of every size are like that. :)

Bruce

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #15  
Congrats on the new tractor and I share your enthusiasm!
I suggest the first thing is not the be concerned about what it can do...but how to do work safely! Read TBN's safety forum and do some internet searches on operating a tractor safely.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135)
Thanks for all the replies! I took her for my first spin yesterday and it was a blast!

For those wondering, I looked up the serials and everything and she's got a Z145 engine with serial SGW641006783, which I guess makes her 1965-66 tractor :)

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #17  
Stay out of the mud! Once you break through the turf in the spring- your chances of getting stuck increase quite a bit. If you have to get through mud- use speed to keep up the momentum. - like driving in snow - but worse!

I like that skidding attachment you got- looks very useful! Cut the stumps low to the ground so that you can drive over them safely. Let nature take its course. Cattle will do a lot of clearing for you, goats and pigs are very useful that way! Of course if you want to turn it into a field- you'll have to pull the stumps or bulldoze them out. Use the stumps for a fence by setting them on their side, stump side out. You are living your dreams- good for you- good luck!

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #18  
How about some action pics.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #19  
Last year I got my first tractor also. One thing I can say learning from experience. It is not a tank. After the first few times it with it you think it is. However after busting up the front grill I can attest it's not one. Go slowly.

/ Recently acquired my first tractor! What's she capable of? (MF 135) #20  
From my experience in Alberta Province, the root system on conifer trees is very shallow due I expect to the frozen ground during 8 months of winter. BC may be much different if you are on the coast though. If you try to pull a stump, make sure you only hook from the fixed drawbar that is below the axle (assuming it has one). IF you have to just the type that fits between the 3 point hitch lift arms, make sure you drop the lift arms as low as they will go and be careful of tip back. Keep your foot on the clutch at all times, but don't "ride it", just be ready to release it if the front starts to come up.

One thing that will make it a bit easier to pull is if you cut it and leave about 6 feet of stump or even better use a long chain, a ladder and tie it really high up on the tree so it gives you good leverage to uproot the tree. That would be a slow process but effective for small tractors.

The other thing would be to cut them at ground level and just leave them to nature. As long as you can run a bush hog over it without hitting it, it would be very good for a pasture.