Recognizing A Scam

/ Recognizing A Scam #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
This guy wants to sell this Bobcat and accessories for $5,700 on Craig's list. No one in their right mind sells $40,000 worth of equipment for $5,000. Just for fun I told him I'd take it. I asked where in Baltimore could I take quick look and pay him cash for the machine. Oh, suddenly the machine is in ND and if I will use Amazon's escrow system he'd get it crated up. Shipping was included, so he didn't know where it was shipping to.
In my 3rd email I called his bluff, haven't heard from him since.
Proof positive that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
If he had put a somewhat reasonable price on it some sap may have gone for it.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tid/2876750319.html

/ Recognizing A Scam #2  
I always get a kick out of those ads. If you google parts of the description, you can see where there are other postings for the same item.

/ Recognizing A Scam #3  
We get those scam spam posting up our way as well.
Interesting most are $13,000. :laughing::laughing::laughing: :mur: :smiley_aafz:
This is for motor homes, boats, tractors, heavy equipment, all kinds of stuff that should be selling in the $30,000 - $80,000. range.

/ Recognizing A Scam #4  
We get tons of them here...mostly for Acura or Honda cars. I've emailed them back and forth a few times just for kicks. They must make money at it though...they keep doing it. It's just aggravating to have to weed through all of that.

/ Recognizing A Scam #5  
Don't resond to these ads,they are looking to harvest your e-mail account.

/ Recognizing A Scam #6  
Some of the reasons there are so many Scams, are that most people are honest and they don't expect the other party to be dishonest or conniving. Also the majority of buyers are searching for a good deal, thus laying the groundwork for scammers to entice and catch the buyer's attention. Three quotes come into mind: "If it sounds too good to be true; then it probably isn't". "There's a Sucker born ever minute". "Buyer beware".

/ Recognizing A Scam
How does he get the escrow service to release the money to him without the buyer's permission? I must be naive.

/ Recognizing A Scam #8  
Scams are so common because there is always someone who is going to be stupid enough to fall for them and the scamers know it. My policy is simple: Trust noone!

/ Recognizing A Scam #9  
I like the ads that say "Peoria Illinois" and in the photo, you see palm trees in the background.