Recommend Digital Camera

/ Recommend Digital Camera #31  
hunterridgefarm . . .
When you look at all these cameras, realize that things go a lot deeper than optical zoom. A 10x or 12x optical zoom is great, but only if it comes with a 'fast' lens, and those cost more than 'slow' lenses.

The 'speed' of the lens I am referring to is the maximum aperature at any given focal length. The wider the aperature, generally the better/faster the lens. The importance of this is directly related to low light conditions. The more light the digital sensors get through the lens, the better. It allows you to shoot at faster shutter speeds to 'stop action' at your kids sporting events. It also allows you to get better low light images indoors.

As I am looking at cameras now just like you are, and as I just recently have been researching all this stuff, I settled on the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ7 as the best for my needs (your needs may be different). Plenty of other good choices exist. But consider your lens! What is the aperature at the lowest zoom setting? What is the aperature at the highest zoom setting? For normal uses, that is actually a very important feature that most people do not understand and most people overlook.

/ Recommend Digital Camera #32  
Canon PowerShot S2 IS: 5MP, 12X optical 4X digital zoom, aa batteries, image stabilization, etc. <$500

/ Recommend Digital Camera #33  
If you are looking to buy online -- I suggest B&H Photo. Great prices, and fast delivery.

In the world of Digital, the top two brands are:

1. Canon
2. Nikon

/ Recommend Digital Camera #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Canon PowerShot S2 IS: 5MP, 12X optical 4X digital zoom, aa batteries, image stabilization, etc. <$500 )</font>

The Canon S2 IS is a very good camera. The S2 lens at zoom is slower than the Lumix lens, which is something that is important to me as I will be taking photos of my daughter at indoor sporting events. The S2 lens is slightly faster (.1) a no zoom, but I discount that because most shots will be using some level of magnification. I currently own 2 Canon PowerShot P&S cameras and cannot fault them or the brand. We each need to assess our own needs. The Lumix costs less than the Canon and has a superior Leica lens. For me, and my uses, I'm going with the Lumix.

The other cameras I also considered the Canon PowerShot Pro1, the Nikon Coolpix 8700 and 8800, Nikon D50 and Olympus E-500.

Here is an interesting thread on a photo forum: Photo thread Lumix vs Nikon vs Canon

/ Recommend Digital Camera #35  
You may also want to look at this site. It shows thousands of sample photos taken with the most common digital cameras.

Then, you can decide whether that quality will work for you.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

/ Recommend Digital Camera
Well tomorrow is the day. I earned an extra day off from work so my wife wants to take the whole day. She said something about going by Khols first. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I told you in the beginning this was a reason to get me to go shopping /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I have made alot of notes from what you guys have suggested and will take those with me. Hopefully tomorrow night I can let you know what we purchased.

This is a top-notch group of people here on TBN and I thank you for your help /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just wanted to let everyonr know we now own a digital Camera. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had decided on one of the nicer Canons S2's priced around $500. But due to circumstances beyond my control (wife) we settled on the Kodak Z740, 5 megapixel, 10x zoom. My wife want something a little more "user friendly" since this was our first digital. So we took a little of EddieWalkers advice and may look at an upgrade in a few years. My wife also wanted the printer with the LCD screen (nice) and we were able to get this and a 1GB memory card with what we saved on the Kodak vs Canon.

Should be making some new post soon on clearing land for house and me clearing an access road, now WITH PICTURES. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks again!!

/ Recommend Digital Camera #38  
You will love it when you get everything figured out. We have had digital cameras sense 1999 and have never looked back.

/ Recommend Digital Camera #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just wanted to let everyonr know we now own a digital Camera. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif we took a little of EddieWalkers advice and may look at an upgrade in a few years. My wife also wanted the printer with the LCD screen (nice) )</font>

OH OH, what did I do now??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear you got a new toy. Switching to digital has turned a hobby of taking pictures into somthing I do almost second nature now. It's so simple to take them, download and pick out what you like or dont. I easily delet 75 percent of what a take, sometimes allot more.

My first trip to Paris I took one roll of pictures. The Marine I was there with didn't take any and had to make copies of mine. After that, I learned to take dozens of pictures of the same thing in hopes of getting one good shot. It works too.

What printer did you get?? We really love the Epson Picture Mate. The qualitiy of the prints is just amazing, plus it's very easy to use and fairly quick!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations, now you gotta figure out how to downsize your pics so they will post on this site!! That's a whole new set of challenges. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Eddie

Eddie,
I think the printer was the Easyshare 500 and I believe it was around $150.00.

("Congratulations, now you gotta figure out how to downsize your pics so they will post on this site!! That's a whole new set of challenges.
Eddie")

I am really looking forward to resizing pics /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I can't even figure-out how to change the font color /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

<font color="blue"> </font>