Recommendations, Advice, Opinions

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions
Well based on the advice I have received, I think I'll buy the Kubota L3400. Although the Mahindra is a nice machine, when I started looking at the 30-35 hp models, the price started to hit the $18,000 range. The L3400 at $16,500, seemed like a bargain, and a better built machine. I'll go drive one next week and see. Although a friend of mine has a L2800 with 350 hrs he is going to sell, which might be worth a look.

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #12  
your friend will be able to tell you what he did with his tractor, why he's selling it, etc.... if he was able to do what you want to do and with an ease/difficulty you are willing to accept, then consider his tractor at the right price, else, use his advice as part of your input on tractor and implement size and selection.

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #13  
All those tractors should handle the work you are speaking of. The Mahindra 3215 is the same size as the Kubota L3400. I imagine that the 2815 is matched to a L2800.

Probably worth springing for the extra HP while you have the opportunity. You usually get that extra $1 or so K back at resale time. Us tractor nuts know that there is more to a tractor than HP but tractors sell by HP in the used market in particular. So $1000 to $1500 is a bargain to go from 28 to 34 hp IMHO.

I have the L3400 and have been very happy with it. It is a no frills machine but built quite well and is a very old Kubota design.

The loader on the Mahindra L3215 is stronger than on the L3400 by about 300lb.

I found that the HST pedal setup on my Kubota was way better than the Mahindra 3215. I found the forward and reverse too far apart on the Mahindra.

The 3215 is definately a solid machine... again - if you are going to get Mahindra, get the 3215 over the 2815.

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #14  
I have a Kubota L4310 HST and have been happy. Several items that you may wish to price from dealers:

1. ATI quick-tach - it's compatible w/ skid steer implements
  2. rear hydraulic remotes - at least one, 3 is better
  3. compare tire width for both front & rear - affects stability
  4. review tires - I have R-1 Ag quite happy - but i saw R-1 wide on a bigger tractor and those would be nicer (front ags tend to sink when loader is full); rears are loaded w/ Rimguard
  5. review tire spacing from fenders for potential chains - some are real tight
  6. I installed a Curtis cab - they're somewhat crude compared to a factory cab, but factory cabs can be $5k
  7. price weld-on chain hooks onto bucket - center & each end. (maybe a freeby?)
  8. Kubota's extendable rear 3pth arms make implement connections much easy than fixed

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #15  
I started with a L3230 and it was slightly underpowered for a few things, no rear remotes to work the boxblade.I sold it after 400 hours and got a L5030 with 2 rear remotes and a quick attach bucket. I don't know how I lived without those before.When in doubt , go alittle more than what you think you'll need. Alittle money more now will save alot later.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. The overwhelming tone was for additional hp, and following everybody's recommendations, I purchased the 35 hp, Kubota L3400 instead of the 26-28 hp models. It has 4WD, Kubota FEL, R4 tires, an Agri 5ft rotary cutter, and an Atlas 5ft boxblade. This tractor seemed to be built as well as any I looked at, and a lot better than some. This model was a nice, simple, no-frills machine, which will (hopefully) allow me to get some work done without a lot of effort on my part. The ease of which the FEL was taken of by myself was particularly nice. Thanks again for the help....
Chris

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #17  
Did you get the remotes in the rear for the boxblade tilt? Congrads on your decision, you will be happy!

No, I didn't. I am still in the process of learning about all the things I should have done. They are still putting the tractor together, and it won't be delivered until Monday. Maybe I should call them tomorrow and inquire. I don't plan on using the boxblade much. At least until I learn how to build my road/driveway.

Edit: Like dave said, I probably need to weld some hooks on the bucket. I can see how they would be handy.

If anybody is curious... here she is

b8d6be0b.jpg

cbc9d7db.jpg

cbd0e60f.jpg

ac226254.jpg

/ Recommendations, Advice, Opinions #20  
Wow! Nice looking machine!

WarHammer