Buying Advice Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job?

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #12  
My wife and I purchased a new RK24 approximately 10 months ago. So far it's been down about six weeks all toll. A day after it was delivered, both rear axel seals leaked and a mechanic from their main distribution center came and picked it up. Ok, stuff happens, right? About a month ago the hydraulic operator control valve for the backhoe sprung a leak. I have to admit that I figured it was just an O-ring. I had O-rings but naturally I didn't have the correct metric size. So, I ordered a variety pack from China. A week or so later they arrived and I installed the O-ring. It did slow down the leak but didn't stop it. Next I took the line off and used my cell phone camera to take a picture of the threaded area where the line thread in. I enlarged it and found a crack starting just below the seat and running to the outer edge of the valve casting. I contacted the dealer and he contacted the main office. A new valve was ordered and the mechanic showed up to install the valve. Of course, the valve appeared to be the correct one, BUT WAS NOT. Ok, the mechanic used his cell phone and called the main distribution center. Since he was an hour late he couldn't have overnight delivery. Before he left he said that since this was Tuesday the valve should be in by Friday. Ok, now it's Friday and no call to let me know when or if he will be here. Or, the part didn't come in. Or, they once again sent the wrong valve. The reason I'm telling you this story is to let you know what you could be letting yourself into. Funny, I never found the multitude of problems that apparently plague all the compact tractors. That is, not until I began having problems myself. I've been back and forth on whether or not I would buy another RK tractor. Just the other day I stated that the tractor itself was a good tractor. The problems lie in the people who assemble them on the line, and available of parts. Keeping your customers informed about what's going on is important. Supply chain is important. The absence of all these things can put any business out of business. Want to buy a good tractor? I'd recommend you purchase a very old John Deer, the older the better. Granted, it will not have four wheel drive but I can also guarantee you that it will run forever. Pick up a bucket and A backhoe if you need one. When it comes to tractors, older is better, much better.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #13  
Want to buy a good tractor? I'd recommend you purchase a very old John Deer, the older the better. Granted, it will not have four wheel drive but I can also guarantee you that it will run forever. Pick up a bucket and A backhoe if you need one. When it comes to tractors, older is better, much better.

Actually, the Yanmar 2210D he already has is nearly an older John Deere. Yanmar made many similar tractors for John Deere in that era (70s and 80s).

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #14  
One reason I bought the RK24 was because it had a Yanmar. The John Deer I was thinking about was made back when he last of the iron wheeled JD were made. I would be surprised if it had a Yanmar gas engine to power it. The thing was an all cast iron two cylinder. It had a compression release on one cylinder and two fuel tanks, one in front of the other. You started it on gas by spinning the large flywheel on the left rear of the engine. Once the single cylinder fired up, and that was usually on the first try. You closed the compression release valve and switched from gas to diesel or kerosene.. Laugh if you like but my brother in-law bought a used one back in the late 1960's He still uses it pretty much everyday. And power, it had a long stroke and large pistons and all the power you needed.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #15  
Ah, you mean a really old Deere. :)

Has the Yanmar in your RK24 caused you any problems? Your description sounds like chasis/drivetrain issues.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #16  
That is a really nice zero turn mower. I have run two different husqvarna rz5424. One had the Koehler engine, the other had the Kawasaki. I prefer the sound of the Kawasaki engine over the Koehler. They husqvaranas are not as heavy built or have a nice seat like the one you are looking at. Being comfortable makes a big difference. I tinker with a lot of small engines and most of the problems are from ethanol blended gas sitting for months at a time. If you can’t get regular gas I would suggest using an ethanol stabilizer like Lucas or stabil during the winter time or try to use all the gas in it before winter time. Have you looked at any diesel zero turn mowers. They might be out of your price range and it might be over kill where you live, but if I miss a week due to rain in the summer the 2 zero turns and cub cadet rider really lug and I have to go a lot slower. The people I know that have the diesel zero turns love them and really don’t have that problem. I would love to have a diesel zero turn but they are alittle out of my price range but if I ever need a new one, I’m going to seriously look at them I can get off road/ farm diesel where I live and it’s cheaper to use in the tractor and rtv than regular diesel because it off road use.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #17  
I have a ZTR for mowing after I tried the 6' finish mower on the tractor route. Took longer and was not easy to mow around obstacles like trees and buildings. I really like my Kubota ZD1211. The 24 HP diesel doesn't have emission devices like the ZD1500 series since it is under 25 HP. I cut about 2 acres around buildings an the arena in less than 2 hours but I go slow due to back issues. It was pricey but well worth it for me. I have great support from Athens Tractor, my local Kubota dealer.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #18  
I've had the 24 for little more than ten months. Right off the bat both rear axel seals were leaking. They picked up the tractor and did a good job and pretty quickly. Now the backhoe operator control valve sprung a leak. As it turned out the aluminum valve has a hairline crack in it. When the mechanic came down with the replacement valve it was the wrong one. Hopefully, this Monday he will have the correct valve and install it. If not, I'm going to disconnect the hydraulic line to the backhoe and secure the outriggers so I can at least use the tractor. The RK24 is a great tractor by itself. The people who assemble it, that's a different matter. Both of my problems originated at the factory in Korea. I was a big supporter of the RK product. But now I've kind of lost confidence in the reliability of their tractors. I guess it just a crap shoot when buying a tractor. But with all the technology and having tractors around since 1880's. Wouldn't you think that all these engineers would have been able to build a better, more reliable tractor? Would I buy another RK tractor? At this point I think I'd look at a few different kinds and much more thoroughly check out the reviews. Would it make any difference? If I did do a more thorough job could I still have a problem tractor, no one knows. I'm thinking what's next? If I have another problem I hope it's still under warrantee. Because when I get it repaired, I'm going to try to either trade it for another brand or sell it as is. My wife and I are on Social Security and to take a beating at the cost of $20,000.00 is very hard to take.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #19  
I agree with you mayflower, I am a disabled vet, and mine has had its fair share of leaks and problems. I will say the service I am getting is good, but when is enough / enough? I am on a fixed income as well, and I bought this tractor because I have stage 4 cancer and can't do much anymore, so I thought this would help my wife out. It's got more hours in the shop then it does on the engine.

/ Recommendations Please!!! What is the best tool or tools for this job? #20  
I'm also a vet. I served in the Army back in the 60's. I was a huey crew chief. I feel so sorry for your problem. I'm not a real religious person. I don't pray anymore, but I will say a prayer for you my friend. I hope and pray to God that your illness turns around. It is possible because I have seen it.