Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #31  
You can turn a lap bar without causing any damage, if you turn it correctly.

Anyone turning a lap bar ZTR by rotating one wheel forward and one reverse, is doing it wrong.
I agree but in the 'heat of mowing', coordination of the lap bars can be forgotten whereas a steering wheel ZTR eliminates that issue entirely or at least does on my wife's Cub ZTR.

I had to replace the wimpy starter on her Kohler Courage motor. The stock starter lacked the balls to turn the engine over, even after a valve -decomp adjustment but Kohler makes a heavy duty starter that actually has a remote solenoid built right into the assembly. It wasn't cheap by a long shot but now it turns over the engine like a toy. $299 clams. It actually looks like a real starter too. Even has a shielded Bendix and is 100% bolt on. Not a starting battery issue either as I replaced the old battery with a new one and all the lugs and contacts are clean and bright plus I trickle charged the new battery before installing it, something I always do anyway. The new 'real' starter weighs about 3 pounds more than the old one which went in the trash.

100% plug and play except I had to make up a lead from the existing starter solenoid to the hot terminal on the new one to energize it's Bendix. 299 bucks was a bit steep but then everything is steep in today's 'Stagflation' economy.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #32  
Speaking of batteries, what is the deal with manufacturers putting little teenie jet ski batteries in power equipment these days? Is this a common thing on new mowers and ZTR's?

I was surprised to find them installed in UTV's like my Kawasaki Mule. Lately, I have been looking at the CC steering wheel mowers and noticed that they have these little jet ski batteries too.

I've had my Mule since last July and the battery is holding up OK (with a Battery Tender on it), but just wonder what the longevity of these will be in this type of duty. They don't hold up well at all in jet ski's in my experience....

Maybe they are better than they used to be. Also, it appears that the "battery box" area in the CC mowers may be set up for conversion to a regular-sized mower style battery if you need to.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers
I committed to writing an update once I completed another test mow with the CC Ultima ZTXS6 (60"); that test mow turned out to be the remainder of the yard not covered during the first drive. Total clock time on the mower now exactly 4 hours; 3.2 acres mowed. 70% (prox.) of the yard is flat or gentle slope, 25% of the yard is up to 10% slope, and 5% of the acreage featuring slope between 10-20% (pure guesses on the slope percentages, don't shoot me if I'm a couple degrees off.)

First, invest in oil stocks. The 25.5 hp Kawasaki FX801V engine is thirsty. Plenty strong, doesn't mind thick, mature, tall grass even when heading uphill; the throttle adjusts to meet the demand automatically. In the 4 hours of mowing, gasoline consumption is somewhere close to 7 gallons if I take the fuel gauge at face value.

Second, if you're mowing a 20° slope with the left side of the mower on the higher side of the slope, make sure you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel. The fuel pickup is apparently on the left side of the tank. When the engine coughed and died because the fuel pickup wasn't picking up, I just put the mower in free-wheel mode, pushed it back onto near level ground, and then restarted the engine.

Trying to minimize the use of superlatives because a) 4 hours mowing isn't really that long and, b) the only other zero turn experience I have is using rented lap-bar Exmarks (54" and 60"), maybe a total of 40 hours in the seat. I always likened using the lap-bar ZT machine as being a dude. "Look at me, I can drive using lap-bars." (Yes, I have driven a forklift many times. Yes, I've driven a Bobcat loader many times.) Forget all that, I'm a dude because I can drive a ZT mower using lap bars!

When I drove the Exmarks, it was not a relaxed drive. Every second of every stripe, of every turn, of every corner, of every slope was an exercise in concentration. Just a split second of inattention and the straight line becomes a curve, an overcorrection, a too-fast/too-sharp turn leaving a wheel mark in the grass. Lap-bars (for me) are wonderful things, but you darned well better keep your focus on driving and not worry about that text message that came in or hitting the skip icon on your Pandora app. Once you do, too bad, so sad, your straight line is no more. I never felt like I was fully in-control of the lap-bar machines, if I scored a few straight lines back-to-back, then heck yeah it's a miracle! I never drove the Exmarks anywhere close to 'fast' because of that 'lack of control' feeling.

DISCLAIMER: I'm 68 years old, I've been using riding mowers of some type since I was 11. 57 years using a steering wheel and pedals, I think you could say it's second nature by now. It's intuitive; it's natural; it's the way God intended us to steer and drive.

The XTXS6 steering wheel seems to solve the 'focus' issue and the lack of control issue. Straight lines are EPLS (easy peezy lemon squeezy). Total control, total comfort in the steering, total comfort in the speed, total comfort on the slopes, no wheel marks in the grass due to a screwed up turn. I don't need 40-80 hours practice to master the S6 and take advantage of its width, its power, its speed. No intent to put down, insult, or throw stones at any lap-bar machine nor any lap-bar owner, but for me and my house, the steering wheel is the right choice. For those of you that have mastered driving your 60" ZT mower at 10MPH making perfect straight lines every time, I bow to your superior expertise, but I am not you and never will be.

More to follow in the coming days.

Attachments

• PXL_20240504_162124648.jpg
    PXL_20240504_162124648.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240504_162144014.jpg
    PXL_20240504_162144014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240504_162204256.jpg
    PXL_20240504_162204256.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240504_162231958.jpg
    PXL_20240504_162231958.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240504_184436331.jpg
    PXL_20240504_184436331.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240504_184530897.jpg
    PXL_20240504_184530897.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20240504_184726403.jpg
    PXL_20240504_184726403.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240504_184755024.jpg
    PXL_20240504_184755024.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
   / Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #34  
I’m guessing the fuel gauge isn’t accurate. 7 gallons in 4 hours is A LOT of fuel. My 29hp Hustler isn’t that thirsty.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #35  
Guess I'm not the only one that had / has a Kowalski that sucked down fuel like a durunken sailor. That twin throat carb on my 27 horse Kowalski was a gas sucker. Never watched the gas gage because it didn't have one to begin with. I went by how much it took to replenish the tanks after a mow session. The other thing I like about the Kubota F series is no drive belts, shaft drive to the deck and then a right angle gearbox driving a multi layered belt (under tension) driving the outer 2, oil filled spindle gearboxes. No aluminum spindles, no grease fittings, just real gearboxes filled with gear oil.

I might add that I had spindle issues with the Tank. Seems as though the spindle assemblies are geared for planned obsolescence. The bearings that support the spindles are 'shielded' on both sides, that is, even if there is a grease fitting on the top of the spindle (or on the side of the spindle assembly, no amount of greasing will ever grease the bearings because they come with shields built in. What I did was I disassembled the spindles and removed the inner shields from both the upper and lower bearings so when I greased the spindles, grease actually got in the bearings. I don't know if that was intentional or just complacency on the part of the spindle builder but after having purchased aftermarket (Stens) spindles with the same inner shielding, I came to the opinion that it was planned obsolescence. If you cannot get grease into the bearings in a high load assembly, they won't last. Plain and simple. The aftermarket (Stens) spindle assemblies for my Tank weren't a cheap date either, close to 100 bucks each and I fear to think what the Cub Cadet spindle assemblies cost. Knowing how proud Cub is, probably a buck and a half per.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #36  
I cut around 4 acres here with a 27hp Briggs Simplicity ZTR and it takes 2.5 gals to do that. I had a Ford 1900 Diesel with a 72" mower deck and it'd take around 2.5gals for it too. (too big and would require too much overlap and running time IMO) The other mower I've used is the 24hp Simplicity Briggs engine and it too was around 2.5 gals in it for the same area.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #37  
I have a CC zero turn mower with a 60 inch deck and steering wheel I bought about 7 years ago. It isn't a "commercial grade" model. I have 540 hours on this machine, and have maintained it well. I have hillsides steep enough - more than the manual's 15 degree "max" incline - to merit me at 225 pounds leaning uphill to feel comfortable. It mows great - easy to drive and I never felt the effort with the steering wheel was an issue. It has a little catch that holds the foot throttle down as a cruise control for long straight stretches. I mow about 4 acres overall.

I picked the steering wheel model for the hills, but especially for the 300 foot long edge of my lawn where there is a two to three foot drop-off to a water runoff small ditch. With a steering wheel my wife and I will have to have a brain aneurysm/loss of consciousness event to steer off the edge. Whereas a minor "brain fart" with lap handles turning towards or away from the edge, or while mowing along the edge, would mean serious bodily injury or death.

This model did disappoint in one area - twice. The front steering wheels are on vertical round spindles. Once at about 200 hours the left one broke in half. Had that replaced by dealer. Then at about 400 hours the right one broke. I have rough areas that I mow and the suspension is rigid. I guess my 225 pounds (hey, it's all muscle...okay, not all...) on the mower and these little bounces over time fatigued the metal. But, my opinion is they should not have broken from the residential use around my Kentucky property. Each repair cost about $250. Still, it's not the end of the world if it happens again.

Long post, I apologize, but the fun part. My 80 year old mother in law's riding mower caught fire a few days ago! Probably dried grass under the front mounted engine, and some old grease/oil under the front axle. She jumped off and watched an inferno! Burned up completely before the fire department got to her rural home. Luckily it was on open lawn and nothing else caught fire.

I'm giving her the above mentioned CC - safer for her in several ways. I'm interested in this thread on the Cub Cadet ZTXS5 60 – listed at $8,899 at my nearby CC dealer. It should be an upgrade - and it boasts "commercial features". But, does it have any kind of shock absorbing suspension?

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #38  
Rhino,

Sorry to say the ZTXS5 model has no suspension. Unfortunately, the closest you can get to suspension in the Ultima ZTXS line is the ZTXS6, which comes with a suspension seat. This seat is not available on any of the lower models (although, if one wanted to spend the money, I'll bet the seat could be retrofitted to other models). I think Cub Cadet missed the boat by not offering the suspension seat on at least the ZTXS4 and 5 models.

Thanks for taking time to tell your story. This is exactly the type of information we are looking for. Good luck with your search for a new machine.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #39  
Rhino,

Sorry to say the ZTXS5 model has no suspension. Unfortunately, the closest you can get to suspension in the Ultima ZTXS line is the ZTXS6, which comes with a suspension seat. This seat is not available on any of the lower models (although, if one wanted to spend the money, I'll bet the seat could be retrofitted to other models). I think Cub Cadet missed the boat by not offering the suspension seat on at least the ZTXS4 and 5 models.

Thanks for taking time to tell your story. This is exactly the type of information we are looking for. Good luck with your search for a new machine.
Runner,

I agree a suspension seat on the 4 and 5 models should be included.

I found this YouTube review of the CC ZTXS5 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXagZM5bTc - 30 minutes long but the reviewer takes time to show how everything on the mower works. I may want to get the ZTXS6 because I don't have tight spaces between trees.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #40  
I think Cub Cadet missed the boat by not offering the suspension seat on at least the ZTXS4 and 5 models.

I absolutely agree on this. I did inquire with the dealer -- looks like the seat is a $1200 part or something like that. Don't recall the exact number but I do recall it was ridiculous and impossible to justify.