Recommended multi-meter

/ Recommended multi-meter #1  

livemusic

Tractor
Mahindra 5010
I guess mine bit the dust, has been acting weird and battery fit is sloppy. Adding a shim isn't working anymore, I can't get a reading now. What is a good one for general purpose use? TIA if you can recommend one!

EDIT: I just need it for general use around the house and ranch, am not a pro of any sort. Like today, needed to check battery on a John Deere Gator. Don't want to spend a whole lot. I would think less than $50.

EDIT2: I typed in "best multimeter" into amazon and saw this, looks ok to me... it has a place to store the probes, that's interesting...

Last edited:
   / Recommended multi-meter #2  
The big question is what are you using for, I mean are you a trades person that uses a meter everyday, or are you a hobby person using it a few times a year? As an electrician, I have a fluke with way more functions than the average person needs. But in my toolbox at home I have a simple bk precision, it has basics enough for automotive and household stuff, and it's simple to use. Extech makes a good, reasonably priced meter. They are rebranded for Klein, ideal , and Milwaukee. If you need a meter to keep in the glove box or toolbox on the tractor, go to harbor freight and get the $10 job so if you lose it or break it, who cares.

/ Recommended multi-meter #3  
I have a couple Flukes but also needed a third one for some bench work. I like the Mastech MS8239C. They have variations depending on how fancy you want. It's cheap and so far reliable. I got it off ebay.

/ Recommended multi-meter #4  
I have some FLUKE meters I bought slightly used on eBay for a good price. They are one of the best names... there are lots of models with varying capabilities to choose from. Use a lithium 9v battery for the best results.

/ Recommended multi-meter #5  
For your uses and criteria about any one you choose will be the right one be it from Amazon, Harbor Freight, or Walmart. Make sure it can measure ac volts, dc volts, and ohms. Fluke meters are probably the best but far beyond your $50 limit. The Klein you showed on Amazon will probably last you many years.

/ Recommended multi-meter #6  
I was a 25yr electronic tech, we used flukes almost exclusively, mainly because they could be calibrated.
Long retired now, but when the display in my Fluke 87 started crapping out, they gave me a quote of almost $300 to replace the display. It now sits in a drawer and has been replaced by this $40 unit which I actually like a lot more, and it's just fine for around the house.

I even bought a cheap oscope (was $80 from aliexpress, same unit as this on Amazon)

I really just wanted to see compare the signals from my conventional and inverter generators. Big difference!

open_gen.jpg Inv_gen.jpg

Last edited:
   / Recommended multi-meter
I was a 25yr electronic tech, we used flukes almost exclusively, mainly because they could be calibrated.
Long retired now, but when the display in my Fluke 87 started crapping out, they gave me a quote of almost $300 to replace the display. It now sits in a drawer and has been replaced by this $40 unit which I actually like a lot more, and it's just fine for around the house.

If you come back to this thread... I know close to zero about electricity. I might be able to follow instructions to figure something out but about all I've ever done with a multimeter is figure out how many volts a battery has, lol. How would I do that on that device you posted? What would I turn the dial to? On the ones I have used and the last one I owned, I turned the dial three clicks to the left to "20" and that would give the v reading from the probes hooked to the battery. See, don't know much!

/ Recommended multi-meter #9  
If you come back to this thread... I know close to zero about electricity. I might be able to follow instructions to figure something out but about all I've ever done with a multimeter is figure out how many volts a battery has, lol. How would I do that on that device you posted? What would I turn the dial to? On the ones I have used and the last one I owned, I turned the dial three clicks to the left to "20" and that would give the v reading from the probes hooked to the battery. See, don't know much!
You'd put it on V for voltage, and press the red button on the left to select DC for battery type voltage.
If that's all you ever really check, a $5 harbor freight meter would probably be fine. DC 20 is probably all you'd ever need, the probes aren't great but its cheap and will probably be just fine for your needs. They used to give these away free with purchase, pre pandemic https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-59434.html

One of my neighbors is like you, I put labels on his meter, WALL and Battery so he knows where to put the dial. No biggie!

Last edited:
   / Recommended multi-meter #10  
I have a Craftsman that has served me well for probably 25 years. If it ever dies I will probably replace it with a Klein similar to the one you posted on Amazon. Klein has a good reputation and the prices aren’t through the roof. Home Depot stocks them if you want to get a hands-on look at them.