Recycling parts from a burned tractor

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #21  
I agree that transmission and engine parts can be saved.....for sale.
If the insurance Co. (I assume you have ins.) will let you keep it for salvage, then keep it, and sell the engine and transmission etc. as parts.
If they want you to buy it back from them......forget it .... at any price.
I had a similar garage/contents loss, many years ago.
Had "replacement value coverage"
A suitable resolution to a very demoralizing situation.

I agree the transmission parts are probably fine but a gear coming apart and dumping metal in the system will pretty much total the tractor. Are you going to risk it to save a few bucks?

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #22  
I can't imagine anything salvageable there.
Let insurance handle it and the cleanup...start fresh.

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #23  
I agree the transmission parts are probably fine but a gear coming apart and dumping metal in the system will pretty much total the tractor. Are you going to risk it to save a few bucks?

I seriously doubt that internal gears would get so hot as to be damaged

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #24  
There's plenty of usable parts but to get at them would be a job. Assuming you went through the work of pulling the rear end apart you would then need to identify the part numbers so you could try to sell them (ebay might be a good place). The parts would have to be parts that do break or wear. The diff lock comes to mind. The front axle may have some parts in it that would sell. Some of the things in the engine that could be good would be the block, crank, and connecting rods. With the engine there's plenty of aluminum (like the pistons) and other metals (like the rod bearings) that should give you a good idea as to how hot the internal parts in the engine got.

I sent the OP a PM about an external part that I wouldn't mind having. As for things like the wheels, I don't see much of a problem. If I was a farmer that counted on my tractor(s) to make a living and working then no. But if I had turf tires and wanted a second set of ags or industrial tires/ wheels I would have no problem using them. What's the worse that would happen? You're not going to be doing 100mph down the interstate. I'm guessing the steel would either crack or bend easier than it should. As long as you keep an eye on it there's very little risk. It would be plenty of work though. You'll want to blast off the rust and paint to get to good steel. Then they would need priming and painting. If you use salt for ballast that paint shouldn't be from a rattle can. Like anything, if the price is right it could be worth it.

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #25  
Only thing I might add, is since you want to be honest if you sell any parts, be sure to show the pictures to the potential buyer, then verify they are still interested...

Can not help but think SOMEBODY would be interested in something there, if the price was maybe 10 percent of new, or even less, which would still be better than scrap price

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #26  
Very difficult to part out and sell pieces. Will require a lot of time devoted to the process.

I guess the easiest way to find out whether it's worth it to do is run an ad for parts with picture of the tractor and see what you get?

The chance of someone needing a specific part of this tractor that is salvageable is small. Add the fact that the buyer is paying money for a part that no one knows if it's any good or not, now we are into tiny. Finding that buyer in close proximity and willing to wait on disassembly is now at miniscule.

For those that are sure there's valuable parts there, make an offer on the entire tractor and pocket all the profits!!!!

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #27  
Very difficult to part out and sell pieces. Will require a lot of time devoted to the process.

I guess the easiest way to find out whether it's worth it to do is run an ad for parts with picture of the tractor and see what you get?

The chance of someone needing a specific part of this tractor that is salvageable is small. Add the fact that the buyer is paying money for a part that no one knows if it's any good or not, now we are into tiny. Finding that buyer in close proximity and willing to wait on disassembly is now at miniscule.

For those that are sure there's valuable parts there, make an offer on the entire tractor and pocket all the profits!!!!

E-Bay is a wonderful thing.
Most any type of usable used parts can be sold.

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #28  
Just thinking of my own situation, I wouldn’t trust any of those parts after a serious fire like that, especially any running gear parts.

Thinking of your situation, I would want to get that site cleaned up ASAP, and go tractor and barn shopping.

Years ago, a guy missed a corner, and drove right through my storage shed where my riding lawn mower and assorted garden tools were stored. The replacements were highly improved over the originals.

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #29  
Just thinking of my own situation, I wouldn’t trust any of those parts after a serious fire like that, especially any running gear parts.

Thinking of your situation, I would want to get that site cleaned up ASAP, and go tractor and barn shopping.

Years ago, a guy missed a corner, and drove right through my storage shed where my riding lawn mower and assorted garden tools were stored. The replacements were highly improved over the originals.

43 years ago I had a major fire (entire garage).
I saved my big Wilton mechanics vise, but the insurance company paid for a new one.
That vise is used today, whenever I need it.
I recently gave the new one, still in the box, (now $360 on Amazon) to one of my sons.

/ Recycling parts from a burned tractor #30  
43 years ago I had a major fire (entire garage).
I saved my big Wilton mechanics vise, but the insurance company paid for a new one.
That vise is used today, whenever I need it.
I recently gave the new one, still in the box, (now $360 on Amazon) to one of my sons.

Wow! You keep things unused for over 40 years?

Are we related? :laughing: