Redecking a bush hog

/ Redecking a bush hog #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I have 286 Bush Hog brand cutter. 6’ cut. The deck has some rust holes. Otherwise it is in good working order. Requires 10ga steel and I only have a small welder, not strong enough for the job. What can I expect to pay to weld on a new deck?

/ Redecking a bush hog #2  
Just fix the holes with what you have. I have a small welder that plugs in 110. It would repair that. I also have a big AC DC welder. But the small one can do it too. Just cut a square out. Cut a square that fits in the hole. Weld an old bolt to the piece so you can finesse it. Weld, cut bolt off. Use bolt several times over and over. A small welder can handle 1/8" steel. I've welded bigger.

/ Redecking a bush hog #3  
Took me over 25 years to wear out my 286 deck and sides. Stump jumper looking ruff. Gearbox still good and still cuts pretty good. Thought about rebuilding but it wasn’t economical.

Looked at new bushogs and brown cutter. $$$expensive but they last.

Over the winter found a 20 year newer, little used, stored inside, used 286 cutter for $1200. Don’t think I could have rehabilitated my mower for that.

Repairing mower deck is tedious work and not trapping moisture in pockets important.

Got a spare for parts or sale. Even rough the name sells. Might modify the old one to make leaf blower or vacuum.

/ Redecking a bush hog
Took me over 25 years to wear out my 286 deck and sides. Stump jumper looking ruff. Gearbox still good and still cuts pretty good. Thought about rebuilding but it wasn’t economical.

Looked at new bushogs and brown cutter. $$$expensive but they last.

Over the winter found a 20 year newer, little used, stored inside, used 286 cutter for $1200. Don’t think I could have rehabilitated my mower for that.

Repairing mower deck is tedious work and not trapping moisture in pockets important.

Got a spare for parts or sale. Even rough the name sells. Might modify the old one to make leaf blower or vacuum.

Mine is 18 years old. Other than some rust holes in the deck it is in good working order.

/ Redecking a bush hog #6  
The286 is a good cutter. But replacing the WHOLE deck is gonna be alot of cutting and grinding.

Maybe some pictures of it and we could better advise.....Is the whole deck rusted and getting thin? To the point that there are just a few holes now but alot more in the near future? Or are there just a couple troubled areas where paint got chipped off and it laid with debris on top and rotted a localized area?

/ Redecking a bush hog #7  
286 model was a good mower they made for a long time and built their brand. There are some improvements on the newer one like rounded rear deck with thicker side skirt. Replaceable skids. Metal vs plastic slip disk shroud. Bigger gearbox…

If your damage and wear isn’t too severe, patching may get you a few more years. 1/8” within a small welder scope. Material and tools needed minimal. Pitting corrosion underneath the deck adds up over many years and you maybe seeing the tip of the iceberg. The skill and technique in repairing a big variable in cost and success.

Vocational skill project or your own adult vocational school project is a good place to learn skills and meet new friends with shared interest.

/ Redecking a bush hog
The286 is a good cutter. But replacing the WHOLE deck is gonna be alot of cutting and grinding.

Maybe some pictures of it and we could better advise.....Is the whole deck rusted and getting thin? To the point that there are just a few holes now but alot more in the near future? Or are there just a couple troubled areas where paint got chipped off and it laid with debris on top and rotted a localized area?

It is somewhat scattered. A good bit along the front edge. I will see if I can get some pics this evening

/ Redecking a bush hog #9  
Lol, when I first glanced at the title of this post I thought it said REDnecking a bush hog!!!

/ Redecking a bush hog
Lol, when I first glanced at the title of this post I thought it said REDnecking a bush hog!!!

If I weld it, that title will be accurate